• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dvd-rw drives... would you?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr. Chambers

i've got a friend who asked for my expertise on the issue, but i dont really know much about them, so i'm not sure what advice to give him...

he wants to get a dvd-rw drive, he thinks he will just be able to backup his dvd's just like he does his cd's, with the click of a button.. now correct me if i'm wrong, but i dont think its that easy at all.. actually more of a difficult thing to do for someone who knows very little about computers (which he doesnt)

also last i heard, they still didnt have the formats standardized on dvd-rw drives yet... so everyone was saying to hold off.. does that still apply?

btw, he has extremely wealthy parents (lucky sob) so money isnt really a factor... he just wants to know if the drive wont work later on because of the formats that might change (which i mentioned) or if it will be worthless, because he only really wants it to back up his movies, and all his mp3's, etc....

help me out, i dont know much about this stuff :p

John

Oni

Oni-ni-Kanab;, Ninja Hippo eater Moderator
This is walking a very thin line. Don't stray from it, please.

He might be able to do a 1:1 image of discs he owns, but I'm not 100% sure.

OP
M

Mr. Chambers

Oni said:
This is walking a very thin line. Don't stray from it, please.

He might be able to do a 1:1 image of discs he owns, but I'm not 100% sure.

:) Oni, you know me better than that... i'm well aware of the thinness of the issue, i did not ask how to do it nor do i want to know how to, or where to find out how to make the backups, etc etc...

i'm just trying to answer a few of his questions so he will stop bothering me :D mainly if he should hold off, because of the whole format thing.. or was i just smoking a big crackpipe and the formats are standardized and everyone in the next years will just use dvd-r or dvd-rw?

OP
M

Mr. Chambers

why would i want to "move it in your direction" ?? i started this thread to see if anyone could answer a few questions that i specifically had...

i wouldnt mind the thread crapping so much if your questions were similar to mine, but they're not, they're completely different.. things of this nature are best answered by starting your OWN thread, instead of plopping your questions right in the middle of mine...

Penguin4x4

Are you my Daddy?
Well, seeing as DVD's have COPY Protection and all, its not at all like burnin a CD. And no, I wouldn't buy a DVD+R/+RW drive until they have hit at least 12x Speeds, which is @~24x CD-R Burn Speed(in proportion to read speed and disc size)

Johnny Knoxville

Disabled
yes programs have come out so you can "back-up" dvds, still not sure about movies though if you can "back them up" 1-1. But you can "backup" PS2 and XBOX games with no problems.

OP
M

Mr. Chambers

Penguin4x4 said:
Well, seeing as DVD's have COPY Protection and all, its not at all like burnin a CD. And no, I wouldn't buy a DVD+R/+RW drive until they have hit at least 12x Speeds, which is @~24x CD-R Burn Speed(in proportion to read speed and disc size)

thats what i was trying to tell him... but the silly man just will not listen...

Captain Slug

Helpful Senior Member
Then just tell the annoying friend NO.
DVD Writers still haven't matured enough to be really useful (especially considering how freakin' expensive they are).

Oni

Captain Slug said:
Then just tell the annoying friend NO.
DVD Writers still haven't matured enough to be really useful (especially considering how freakin' expensive they are).

Damn, beat me to it!

Give the technology time to come down to within the price range of Joe Six (no more than say, $200). That'll also give the technology to mature enough to be really useful.

Right now, DVD-RW drives can only burn one layer. I think DVD's are up to about 4 now. Maybe higher.

Sorry about the warning, but I had to put it in there. It's my job :)

OP
M

Mr. Chambers

well thx for the advice guys, i'll tell him, but he seems to think that he knows more than anyone.. one of those people i guess ;)

Daemonfly

The new HP drives are supposed to make disks that are readable on 80-90% of current DVD players out there (some problems with cheap or older ones).

shauns

OK here is the thing Mr Chambers, tell your "friend" to get a Sony DRU500A here is the info here for info

that burns ANY type of DVD format, now if you want to back up your OWN dvds, because doing ANYTHING else is VERY illegal, and not alloud on these forums! there is a COMPANY that SELLS a software that does exactly this. now you may have to use 2 dvds, just because movie dvds are double something i dunno but its not the same thing you can read about it here this is the link

i hope i have helped you on saving YOUR investment i am all for protecting what YOU have paid for.

palee72

Mr. Chambers said:
why would i want to "move it in your direction" ?? i started this thread to see if anyone could answer a few questions that i specifically had...

i wouldnt mind the thread crapping so much if your questions were similar to mine, but they're not, they're completely different.. things of this nature are best answered by starting your OWN thread, instead of plopping your questions right in the middle of mine...

Forgive me.. I bow out.........:burn:

OP
M

Mr. Chambers

palee72 said:

Forgive me.. I bow out.........:burn:

forgiven ;) actually your question would get answered alot quicker in its own thread, so its best anyways...

that and as soon as someone see's my name in here they click right by.. right guys? :D

XyKo

Disabled
Well I heard it really hard to copy 1:1 dvd movies. My friend tried it and it seems he have to encode the video again. So don't get dvd-rw they suck now. tell him to buy the damn standalone system if he wanted to. only $800 if he rich already.

Tebore

I thought there was a program called DVDXCopy or something that could make exact copies of DVDs. Any way DVD-RWs would be cool to have but at the moment it's way too expensive, but hey if your rich friend has the cash tell him to buy it. Buy it for some bragging rights if he was smart he could charge ppl for HDD Back up fees or charge ppl to change their old VHS tapes to DVD. But at the moment us poor guys wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole unless it was free:D .

Oni

Like I said above, DVD-RW drives can only burn one layer right now. Most retail DVDs are 2 or more layers, so you'd need to split the movie you were backing up because you own it in half, one half per side.

Wait a while. Eventually, they'll be able to burn dual layer and above . . . Mmmmm . . . 8.6GB/side :)

specific

ahem.....allow me
I just got the sony dru500a, burns both dvd- & dvd+ media. It does 4x with the - and they will drop a firmware to allow 4x with the + soon.
There are ways to burn your dual layer dvd's. It takes work, but it can be done. You can even burn a nice looking Gladiator, or Scarface (if you are so inclined) on ONE of the existing 4.7GB media.

But i can't wait for a dvd-9 format or equvalent to drop. Now that i said that, actually, i can wait. I want to make good use of this before those come around.;)