• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DX11 Nvidia card power consumption ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DSM4Life

Anyone know what it will be around ? You think 750W will be enough ?

I will no doubt be sticking with my 775 setup for now but my PSU is going back for repair (ticking-lifetime warranty) but before i do that i want to buy another to step in its place. My initial thought was ok they are only 100 bucks even at local pickup no biggie. Then i starting thinking which is always a bad idea, what if the new DX11 cards need more power ? So i was look at the CORSAIR 850 watt. Price is 165 for the manual cable setup PSU.

What you guys think ? Heard anything on the new card + power consumption ?

It depends on what DX11 card you get, some will need a small nuke to run it, some won't. You spend $500+ on a new card, you might be okay. You spend $250, you'll be fine.

We'll have to wait.

I cant imagine any single GPU offering not being able to be run with a Corsair 750TX (hell a 650TX easy). In fact, I find it hard to imagine that a dual GPU offering wouldnt run with that same 750TX PSU. Look at the 5970 from ATI, its 288W I believe. There are power standards they have to fit within. (2 8pin 125w each and 75W from PCIe slot, IIRC).

The GF100 seems likely to be over 200w to me, it's not that far behind the 5970 in transistor count, it could even be at the same 280-290w levels.
Even so, the 750 oughta do it.

The GF100 seems likely to be over 200w to me, it's not that far behind the 5970 in transistor count, it could even be at the same 280-290w levels.
Even so, the 750 oughta do it.

I think last report I heard they were having trouble coming in under 300W which means they could not carry PCIE certification.

Iam sure that worst case scenario they will just downclock it some more.

Oh geez.. so does that mean no dual gpu offering since that should be in the 450W+ range?

Yeah 5970 was hard pressed to be under 300W... if GF100 is close to that on its own.....yikes (and what a monster it should be I would presume!)

It was charlie that gave the 300-or-more number. Personally i find it extremely believable considering how many billion transistors there are, and the 5970's power issues with the same ballpark of transistors with the same process, but he can't always be trusted.

I see no way in hell a 40nm gf100x2 card could be produced and kept under 300w though, not without major underclocking. That's like expecting a 5870x3 or x3.5 to fit under 300w :p

Well if the GF100 cards do suck down so much juice, nvidia might just want to take a look at bundling their cards with its own psu. TT has one made just for vid cards, though last i saw a few years ago it was a 250w little psu that fit in a 5.25 bay, so im sure by now they could have a 500w one, maybe a 1000w one for those crazy folks that want to SLi those monsters.

Back