• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DYI watercooling system finally up and running...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lord Thundar

After kicking around the idea for years and absorbing comments/ideas from various forums, I've finally taken the plunge. Keep in mind that my system may not be the prettiest, but I am working under severe budgetary constraints (ie, my wife and daughter). All said and done, I was able to do the entire system for less than $100 dollars, and that includes a custom machined waterblock based on the design of the XCL-waterblock - the blocks aluminum b/c my neighbor did not have the time nor resources to machine it out of copper for me. Anyway, I used a dannermag 250 gph pump, a heater core out of a 97 Chevy truck (from autozone), and some vinyl tubing (1/2" ID) from Home Depot. I'm running with medically sterilized/distilled water (that I had laying around the house from a procedure my wife had a while ago) with some water wetter thrown in for corrosion protection (the rad is copper and the block is aluminum) and some betadine to keep the biologicals in check.
With the fans turned down to near silence (running with a custom built rheobus), I get the same CPU temps as with my SLK-800. With the fans going full bore, the temps drop another 4-6C. Sorry no pics, but I don't have an http addr to post them to..

OP
L

Lord Thundar

Since I don't have the ability to post pictures, let me give you a bit more description. I have a Cheiftec Dragon case (very similar to the Full size Antec cases with the front panel door and two lower removable drive bays). I cut in to the bezel and mounted my heater core through it so that it is mounted to the front of the case. I have a high powered 80mm and a 92mm fan pulling air through the heater core in to the case. The block itself is has a 1" thick aluminum base, with the spiral channel being 1/2" depth. In the channel are 1/4" divit holes for more turbulance and surface area in the channel. The center of the channel has six triangular cutouts, each 1/4" high, in a circular formation right under the inlet valve (see design link above for pics).
I have the system setup to go pump->rad->block->pump, with a bleed/fill T between the block and the pump.