• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DYNAMIC vs. STATIC DSL.....question please.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JInglee

HI

Is there really any significant difference between the Dynamic and Static DSL connections? Does the Static connection provide a more consistent speed?
I guess speed and reliable connection for gaming is my interest.

I like gaming but do not as act as a server. E-mail, occasional downloads, streaming stuff....mostly gaming really. BF, COD, et.

Any clarification woule be appreciated.

Thanks

Kendan

Senior Punk
It does not affect speed at all. The only thing that is different is one has an IP that never changes and one has an IP that can change occasionally.

don256us

Uber Folding Senior
It would make a difference if you were hosting a web page but even then, there are programs that keep the IP updated. There may be other areas where it makes a difference too.

For the most part, you will not see any difference. If you are looking to set up a web page or something, your ISP will usually supply some space for that on a static server. Not to mention, hosting a web server on your DSL account may be against the rules for your service.