• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E3 News Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blueswitch

So far I think that there really wasn't any big news from any camp....it just seems to me like we got new videos about games we've been hearing about since the last E3. Any new announcement was something small that people don't really care about...even the $100 PS3 price cut apparently wasn't even a real price cut.

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
deception`` said:
Bioshock is being released on the PC; it also lacks a multiplayer component so there's no pressing need for gamers to flock to this on PC.
deception``
Blasphemer!

People will flock cause of the interactive game play it offers. you could prolly play the game many times over and do things differently for the same outcome. If you ever played System Shock or System Shock 2 you would know that BioShock wont have multi player support.

z0n3

FudgeNuggets said:
Why do people always have to drag the damned PC into the console games section and discussions?
Cause the thread was titled E3 news and the OP mentioned games on the PC.

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
the only thing im sad about is sony wont release Wipeout HD for the PC. God i had tons of fun playing wipeout XL the demo cause i never did see it for FS in the states way back when.

OP
tenchi86

tenchi86

Yeah, Wipeout was a good game. I hope they do a good job at properly bringing to up to date.

Just to clear a few things up: Deception' when I said FPS I just meant shooters in general, I honestly don't think the camera angle matters that much but if you believe so then ok. Just don't forget that UT can run in first or third person. Also a quick question. Wouldn't mutliplayer make people want it on the Xbox since it is supposed to have the best online network for gaming?

Fudge: We were talking about PCs because Deception was convinced that a FPS would not help sell a console if that FPS was also on the computer.

rainless

Old Member
deception`` said:
1. Killzone looks great, but we won't see it until 2008.

2. The effects of UT3 and Haze on the PS3 are marginal this holiday. I say this because there are two MEGA-blockbusters being released at the same time: Halo 3 and GTA4. Both titles are expected to set sales records and are going to steal thunder from many other great games [like Lost Odyssey] being released toward the end of the year.

3. Unreal Tournament is, and always will be, primarily a PC game. I expect this to put a dent into sales on both console platforms.

deception``

2. BS

You're telling me nobody's going to buy UT3? Whatever...

The kegger-frat crowd will buy Halo 3, and anyone who doesn't own a BeerHat will buy UT3. So it is, was, and always shall be.

And GTA4 is being released for both systems, however, in case you hadn't noticed... Haze is gaining HEAT.

deception``

rainless said:
2. BS

You're telling me nobody's going to buy UT3? Whatever... Of course people are going to buy UT3. I never said that. My belief is that more people will be inclined to buy UT3 on the PC than they will on the PS3 or 360.

And GTA4 is being released for both systems, however, in case you hadn't noticed... Haze is gaining HEAT. I am well aware that GTA4 is going to be sold on both consoles. Care to quote me where I stated otherwise? Anyhow, my point is that PS3 owners are much more likely to throw holiday dollars towards GTA4 [especially as a system mover] than they will be UT3 and/or Haze. Look at the success of recent GTA releases and its hard to disagree here.

Again, not saying anything about the quality [or lack thereof] about Haze and UT3...only that they are being released in a very rough time of the year. Mega titles like GTA4 and Halo 3 are going to overshadow other great games like UT3, Haze, Lost Odyssey, and Splinter Cell: Conviction.

deception``

rainless

Old Member
deception`` said:
deception``

Halo 3 isn't going to overshadow anything because there is a limited portion of the population that will buy it. Yes, they will get their million or 2 million copies sold, but those are all Halo 1 and 2 players. The people who never liked, wanted, or were interested in Halo (such as myself and about 3/4 of the people on this site, judging by the few Halo threads that have appeared) won't ever go anywhere near it. On the otherhand the PS3 is releasing entirely new franchises.

It's the same with Nintendo. Nintendo has their "niche" market of people that will buy Zelda and Mario over and over and over again. But, according to every software sales figure I've seen, that hasn't helped them cross-over and they are FAR from leading the pack in terms of software sales.

Gears of War is another great example of a brand-new franchise having an impact on software and system sales. Well Haze will make Gears of War look like garbage (hell, half the games from E3 make Gears of War look like a rough draft.) I think Microsoft and Nintendo are about to learn a very harsh lesson on the importance of new franchises this winter.

People are tired of playing the same old games (with the exception of GTA... which is constantly reinventing itself and always has a killer soundtrack.)

The next generation of gamers will be looking for the next generation of franchises.

deception``

rainless said:
Halo 3 isn't going to overshadow anything because there is a limited portion of the population that will buy it. Yes, they will get their million or 2 million copies sold, but those are all Halo 1 and 2 players. The people who never liked, wanted, or were interested in Halo (such as myself and about 3/4 of the people on this site, judging by the few Halo threads that have appeared) won't ever go anywhere near it. On the otherhand the PS3 is releasing entirely new franchises.

It's the same with Nintendo. Nintendo has their "niche" market of people that will buy Zelda and Mario over and over and over again. But, according to every software sales figure I've seen, that hasn't helped them cross-over and they are FAR from leading the pack in terms of software sales.

Gears of War is another great example of a brand-new franchise having an impact on software and system sales. Well Haze will make Gears of War look like garbage (hell, half the games from E3 make Gears of War look like a rough draft.) I think Microsoft and Nintendo are about to learn a very harsh lesson on the importance of new franchises this winter.

People are tired of playing the same old games (with the exception of GTA... which is constantly reinventing itself and always has a killer soundtrack.)

The next generation of gamers will be looking for the next generation of franchises.

We'll just have to see.

Personally I have never cared for a single Halo game but I cannot ignore its past success. If history is any guide, Halo 3 is poised to have a monster holiday season. Gears of War sold over 3 million copies by the end of 2006, and I don't see why Halo 3 won't meet or exceed this goal.

Haze looks very interesting, but it doesn't have a fraction of the buzz that followed Gears of War prior to its release.

Many of Microsoft's best titles this gen have been based on new franchises - Gears. Saint's Row. Dead Rising. Lost Planet. Add to that upcoming games like Blue Dragon, Mass Effect, Eternal Sonata, Lost Odyssey, and Alan Wake....I find your claim of Microsoft ignoring new franchises very interesting.

The Wii has enough buzz around it [and limited supply] to generate healthy sales. Aside from it's mass-market appeal and low price, they really don't need blockbuster titles to move hardware like the 360 and PS3 do. We can say all we want about Mario and Zelda, but I'd love to be a stakeholder in Nintendo right about now.

deception``

Last edited:

rainless

Old Member
deception`` said:
We'll just have to see.

Personally I have never cared for a single Halo game but I cannot ignore its past success. If history is any guide, Halo 3 is poised to have a monster holiday season. Gears of War sold over 3 million copies by the end of 2006, and I don't see why Halo 3 won't meet or exceed this goal.

Haze looks very interesting, but it doesn't have a fraction of the buzz that followed Gears of War prior to its release.

Many of Microsoft's best titles this gen have been based on new franchises - Gears. Saint's Row. Dead Rising. Lost Planet. Add to that upcoming games like Blue Dragon, Mass Effect, Eternal Sonata, Lost Odyssey, and Alan Wake....I find your claim of Microsoft ignoring new franchises very interesting.

The Wii has enough buzz around it [and limited supply] to generate healthy sales. Aside from it's mass-market appeal and low price, they really don't need blockbuster titles to move hardware like the 360 and PS3 do. We can say all we want about Mario and Zelda, but I'd love to be a stakeholder in Nintendo right about now.

deception``

Nintendo is never going to go belly-up... They have too many intellectual property rights for that. But they're also never going to have the number one home video game system ever again. They'll ALWAYS have the number one handheld system... because they invented the handheld market and have managed to do there, what they used to be able to do in the home sector.

And they've done it the same way: On their handhelds, they're still releasing (or WERE releasing up until the past couple of months) innovative, fresh, new third party titles. Mario didn't make the NES... and certainly not the SNES the number one system. It was the combined strength of all those awesome 3rd party titles. Castlevania, Contra, Tecmo Bowl, Final Fantasy... That's what made Nintendo's earlier systems a hit. What happened happened after that is no mystery. Ever since the release of the N64 and Nintendo REFUSING to make it disc based, they've done everything in their power to alienate third party developers. And, without them, they cannot win.

You wouldn't be so happy to be a Nintendo shareholder if you were one back in the eighties and early nineties running high on coke and women from your NES and SNES profits, and forced to wade through the crack and hooker days of the N64 and then the game cube.

FudgeNuggets

I sort of agree with you, Rainman. I've got a good example to counter something you said though

"Mario didn't make the NES"
True, but my wife loves SMB and played the hell out of it on the NES as a kid. She never touched another video game aside from Tetris or Bust A Move until the Wii came out. OOPS, I lied, she played "New Super Mario Bros" when I got it on the DS ;) She LOVES Wii bowling and I can even get her to play Wii golf and boxing. There are a lot of women and others like her and that is what is driving the Wii.

Sure there are 100 or so million people who bought the PS2, and some of those are casual games but the bulk are not. The bulk are males age 8-40. Now there is what 4-5 billion people in the world? I guess one could say 100 million is pretty big or pretty small compared to what they're looking at.For a niche or hobby then 100 million is a ton, but for the global population it is pretty minute.

Now Nintendo is not going to achieve global domination, but they are looking to reach beyond the 100 million or whatever the actual number is that bought the PS2, Gamecube and Xbox. Maybe not all 100 million will buy but now they have a market of 500 million or a billion by including the non-gamers. Hell, I've seen where nursing homes are buying them.

Thund3rball

FudgeNuggets said:
Hell, I've seen where nursing homes are buying them.

That is an excellent point.

off topic /* The Wii is being used as an exercise machine in old folks homes. Makes perfect sense. Low intensity, gets you off the couch, don't have to go outside etc... \* on topic

Anyways Fudge is probably right. Nintendo knows they are not going to dominate anytime with the Wii. But dominating and increasing your market share are very different things. It's damn hard to get on top and harder to stay there. There's something to be said for the follower strategy that Nintendo has with there niche market. As others have said before, North America is just another marketplace for them, Japan is their homeland and they seem to cater to it very well, no?