• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E3110 running very hot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dealmaster

Hey guys, I was trying to join the 4GHz club and my overclock is really being held back by temperatures. I've got the Xigmatek S1283 with an Antec Tricool fan on the other end (for push/pull) and at 3.825GHz at 1.2375 Vcore, it'll hit 55-56C max load. At 4GHz, it was taking around 1.3375-1.35 Vcore to be stable, but the temperatures were 65C+. I've tried remounting several times with no real improvements. I've got a Thermalright backplate on order, but if that doesn't work, I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a TRUE120.

Are there any other suggestions on how I can avoid having to drop $55+ on a new heatsink?

RGE

At 4GHz, it was taking around 1.3375-1.35 Vcore to be stable, but the temperatures were 65C+.

If using core temp you are 40C from Tjmax, if using real temp you are 30C from tjmax. Either way, you are well within specs, and intel thinks your cpu will last at least 3 years via warranty under those conditions.

Not to mention you are not near Tcase max of 72 (there is at minimum on prime load 10C difference between core temps and Tcase temps (Tcase is not cpu temps). So either way you are way lower than Tcase max.

Das kobold

Registered
I was having the same issues with my E3110, 65c at 4.ghz at 1.3v watercooled, but I ran Orthos overnight to check for stability and the temps dropped to a steady 54c after 10 hours. If you just set up your system then its possible that TIM has not had time to cure or settle yet.

Nebulous

Señor Senior, Senior
If using core temp you are 40C from Tjmax, if using real temp you are 30C from tjmax. Either way, you are well within specs, and intel thinks your cpu will last at least 3 years via warranty under those conditions.

What I like is this statement right here:

and intel thinks your cpu will last at least 3 years via warranty under those conditions.

Those temps aren't all that great. Either that sink of yours isn't making good contact, you're not getting enough case airflow or it's official and that sink is a pos. I've got a Thermaltake Big Typhoon that does a better job, even mounted on a hotass P4 630 prescott running 4.2Ghz with 1.5v

Your best bet would be to either:

A) Get higher CFM fans or

B) Swap sinks.

Did you check to see how much of a difference in temps running stock speeds/voltage?

OP
D

dealmaster

Yes, at stock speeds, temps didn't go much over 40C (in Realtemp). They'd get to 42 or 43, but that's as high as it got. I used IC Diamond 7 as my TIM, before I had tried AS5 as well and had even worse results. Maybe this heatsink just isn't good after all.

Nebulous

Señor Senior, Senior
That's a shame too. i like the looks of that sink, but performance is poor. Maybe it's just designed for silent cooling @ stock speeds and not intended for ocing.

Hopefully the TRUE will do alot better for you :)

OnDborder

With my e8400, coretemp didn't read the sensors correctly. I just used the "vcore" temp in the bios or speedfan. I did the same with my 3110. If it was 25c in the bios at 1.6, everything is a go.

OP
D

dealmaster

One thing I'm confused about is it kept my AMD 5600+ (running at 3.2GHz with 1.5V Vcore) at about 44-46C max load in Coretemp. That chip is a 90W chip and was probably putting out 125W or so at the overclock settings I had it set to. There's no possible way this 45nm dual core at 1.3375 volts puts out more heat than a 90nm dual core at 1.5 volts, is there? I'm going to try and install some of the Gigabyte motherboard sensor software, maybe the sensors on the chip are screwy.

Nebulous

Señor Senior, Senior
That could be a possibility, but they are 2 different chips with 2 different Architectures. Thus is why the temps differ along with the read of temp sensors.

OP
D

dealmaster

Yeah, I'm hoping it's just the crappy push-pin mount. I've heard that Intel's pushpins are better, and I have the Intel stock cooler so I could put those on the Xigmatek and see if there's any difference. If not, my bolt thru kit should be here next week I hope. I just didn't expect my overclock to be limited by heat.

prime81

The other thing to remember is the E3110 is the same chip as the E8400, but as far as thermal tolerances it's not. Xeon's are developed to handle passive cooling for server enviornments, it also has Intel I/O technology which is for networking optimizations.

The E3110 has a higher temp tolerance I think it can handle about 10c more heat than the E8400.

OP
D

dealmaster

Well with the backplate temperatures at my current overclock dropped to 48-50C, but I'm just really disappointed with this chip. I've seen so many reports of people hitting 4GHz with lower voltage and using coolers like AC Freezer Pro and having the same temps I do. Oh well.

Nebulous

Señor Senior, Senior
Well with the backplate temperatures at my current overclock dropped to 48-50C, but I'm just really disappointed with this chip. I've seen so many reports of people hitting 4GHz with lower voltage and using coolers like AC Freezer Pro and having the same temps I do. Oh well.

My friend don't be disappointed. Not all chips are created equal. There are other factors involved that limit the overclock. Could be a number of things. One of the biggest factors is heat. This will definately keep you from attaining the higher clock. These are other things to keep in mind:

Board/Bios
Ram/Timings
Psu

Just because you have the same exact setup as Joe Blow, who has 4.0Ghz, does'nt garantee you'll achieve the same clocks. All you can do is try different ram timings to see if that will work. You can also try different bioses for your board. You can also try a divider to rule out the chip itself.

OP
D

dealmaster

My friend don't be disappointed. Not all chips are created equal. There are other factors involved that limit the overclock. Could be a number of things. One of the biggest factors is heat. This will definately keep you from attaining the higher clock. These are other things to keep in mind:

Board/Bios
Ram/Timings
Psu

Just because you have the same exact setup as Joe Blow, who has 4.0Ghz, does'nt garantee you'll achieve the same clocks. All you can do is try different ram timings to see if that will work. You can also try different bioses for your board. You can also try a divider to rule out the chip itself.

Well I'm almost for sure it's Vcore that needs to be increased. I can increase the FSB and NB volts only by +.1, +.2, and +.3 and it doesn't seem to matter what I have those set to, the system will only be stable if I start jacking up Vcore. I'm considering going to water cooling to get better performance and quiet this computer down. 6 high speed yate loons are noisy.

Nebulous

Señor Senior, Senior
Ahh, ok. I see in your sig you're still running the 9 multi. Why not drop the multi to 8 and raise the FSB on the ram? I'm sure that ram has plenty of headroom.

I know you can get 4.0Ghz, but something is preventing it. What are the current ram timings/voltage?