• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

e3200 or e6750

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oldgooseberry

Registered
I'm budgeting for a new e3200 45nm from dabs or a used and probably overclocked e6750 65nm from ebay. I've heard the e3200 can overclock to 4ghz, the e6750 goes up to 3.8ghz. I've read the e6750 has more L2 cache and that conroe's run 40% less hot than other 65nm, which one is better?

Does anyone have any scare stories, rumours of overclocked cpu/gpu from ebay? Should I avoid buying used from ebay?

Bobnova

I would not buy a CPU from ebay, personally.
The prices are generally lousy, and you have no idea how beat up the CPU is.
That goes doubly for an older CPU, odds are good that it sat with a bunch of volts for a couple years.

OP
O

oldgooseberry

Registered
I would not buy a CPU from ebay, personally.
The prices are generally lousy, and you have no idea how beat up the CPU is.
That goes doubly for an older CPU, odds are good that it sat with a bunch of volts for a couple years.

Right thanks, I'm new to overclocking and I've heard you can blow cpu's up from too much voltage but I'm kind of thinking that if it's not blown up then it should be ok, I'm planning to do a lot of overclocking though so I think I'll buy a new e3200, if I was to push it from stock 2.4ghz to 4ghz on air, what kind of lifespan can I expect?

Bobnova

The difficulty is that high voltage doesn't instantly kill CPUs (well, really high voltage does), they just get less and less stable.

For a while 4ghz is good, then you have to turn it back to 3.8 or raise the volts.
Then 3.6 or raise the volts.
Then 3.4 or raise the volts.

And so on, back to the stock speed, and then.... Lower! Or raise the volts :D

So while the seller is selling a CPU that almost certainly works great at stock clocks/volts (and will for a long time, if you don't crank the volts), it may or may not still be able to clock as high as it used to.

OP
O

oldgooseberry

Registered
The difficulty is that high voltage doesn't instantly kill CPUs (well, really high voltage does), they just get less and less stable.

For a while 4ghz is good, then you have to turn it back to 3.8 or raise the volts.
Then 3.6 or raise the volts.
Then 3.4 or raise the volts.

And so on, back to the stock speed, and then.... Lower! Or raise the volts :D

So while the seller is selling a CPU that almost certainly works great at stock clocks/volts (and will for a long time, if you don't crank the volts), it may or may not still be able to clock as high as it used to.

ahhhh that's really good to know, I think I'll get a new e3200 from scan uk but I'll get a used 8800 gt from ebay. My reasoning is that a cpu can be overclocked a lot more(so prob will have) but a gpu can't be pushed that far so should be ok

thanks

Bobnova

GPUs are much harder to overvolt, makes 'em harder to kill which is nice :D