• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

e6300 @ 2.94Ghz Feeling Extremely Sluggish

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

anwar1337

Its been a while that this has happened and I think it was even when I first assembled this rig a couple of months back. Anyway, the setup is feeling veryyyyy sluggish like someone took a bat to my cpu and beat it up. I used to
have a 4000+ San diego and in CS:S it would connect FASTER than this rig... The loading of programs is not any much faster than with my 4000+ rig. My sig has my current setup and Im most likely sure its probably my Memory settings but in SISOFT SANDRA my mem scores are as follows

RAM BANDWIDTH INT BUFFERED ISSE2 = 6,348 MB/s
RAM BANDWIDTH FLOAD = 6,322 MB/s

These were roughly the same #'s I would get with my old 4000+ setup.. :\

Bandwidth Efficiency from SISOFT = 46% (LOL?!!)

Right now i have 2 x 512 Corsair XMS2 PC-6400.
I'm thinking i should pop in my Corsair Dominator PC-8500 (2x1GB) sticks in and see if it will help.
Whats most likely wrong here are the settings for the memory like cas latency and the 1000 other settings that this motherboard has for memory which I have no information of, AT ALL.

Should I take pictures of my bios' memory settings and put them up so you guys can guide me with the settings after I install the new memory?

Please help! I feel like I wasted money upgrading this rig ;\... I mean i almost have like 6Ghz of computing power and its running equivalent to my 4000+ @ 2.8ghz... :\

How old is the format you are running? I tend to notice you have to reformat Windows every once in a while to get it back into it's best working state. Defrags every now and then would be a good idea too.

It was sluggish after I formatted 2 months ago also, With the new dominator sticks in My scores jumped to

INT BUFFERED ISSE2 = 6,530 MB/s
Float BUFFERED = 6,551 MB/s

Its now at 49% Efficiency.

On bootup it says PC-4300 ?!
My bus = 420Mhz
FSB = 1680 Mhz

In the bios if I change it from DDR-840 to any higher settings the computer wont POST.

What about your rig is slow? You're talking about connecting and loading of programs. Is that all the tests you've done? That is usually just from the speed of your HD. Maybe the interface is slightly slower between the motherboard and HD. Maybe you have itunes or some programs loaded in the background that are hoarding your cpu power. Have you ran 3dmark, superpi, sandra, or other benchmarking software between the systems?

The benchmarking software will show you if there was an increase in the system. If there is an increase then it might be software issues, need a fresh install of XP, etc... If it is running slower then it could very well be a driver issue.

Need some more info.

Im most definite this is a memory issue, please help me any which way you guys can with the settings in bios! Thanks :).

Everything about my rig is slow, programs loading, programs closing, like when i go to my computer, it takes a good 3 seconds to open, when i open control panel it takes 5 seconds to load. I have a 74GB Raptor, i mean if thats slowing me down then idk what to say :\. Ill get the most up to date chipset drivers and see if it helps any.

ok wait wait.. I think I got it. It looks like your memory voltage is low. I just did a quick search on google for dominator (don't know which ones you have, the 4-4-4-12 or the 5-5-5-15). It looks like they are rated at 2.2v.

Your mem timmings are pretty high and so the timmings shouldn't be messing anything up. Sure you are not getting max speed out of them, but definitely shouldn't be causing your whole system to run like crap.

If you have the 4-4-4-12 rated ones then go ahead and change the first 4 things in your ram settings that says 5-5-5-15 to 4-4-4-12.

Edit: It looks like in your pic that you have them running at 1.9v? I'm surprised they would even boot at that speed with that amount of voltage.

The sticks said 5-5-5-15 @ 1066MHz im assuming so Im pretty sure it will work with 4-4-4-12. Also i will increase the voltage but do you actually think that it will help the bandwidth situation?

If you are running low voltage and there are errors with the memory then yeah its making your system run really slow. I would really suspect it is the voltage to the memory, though with computers it really could be anything.

I know whenever I have overclocked as I reached the max of my RAM or CPU speed, the computer would run really slow or have problems in windows. Thats when I usually back it down 100mhz or so and it usually ends up stable and running fast.

Try this first and see if it helps out.

Can someone with the same chipset or same processor type run some benches with sisoft sandra?

If your sticks are rated at 2.2 I would set it to atleast 2.25 since the P5B-Deluxe dont have an exact 2.2v setting. Then try running it using the 4:5 divider (1050). Also give a your vcore a step or 2. :)

have you HDtach on the harddrive? what setting are you using in the bios IDE/RAID/AHCI? in the bios for the harddrives.... another thing i would do is find the pci-e buss section where you can set that, bump it from 100mhz to 110mhz.

If your ram was running with errors because it did not have enough volts it will corrupt your windows install which im sure wont help with speed feeling, opening stuff is more HD related, IE if it cant pull the info off the HD fast enough there is no way it can process the data without getting it

Also what operating system are you using and what programs are running in the back ground? You could have a program thats running in the background thats eating up processing or HD time

Ok, with a 4/5 Divider im getting 7,120MB/s and 7,095MB/s.
Efficiency is now at 53%

Is it ok that im running the memory at a 2T Command rate?

Im gonna try to run it at 1 step above the 4/5 divider and see whats up. Ill run that program after I restart also.

I highly doubt that you can run your memory at 1T. Try it tho.

BTW, you have a P5B Deluxe right? Where did you find that command rate in the BIOS? I must've missed that coz AFAIK there is no setting on the P5B to change that.

Didnt post with 1 step above 4:5 divider.

I put it at stock speeds and put it at a 1:2 divider and it got ~5.5GB's memory bandwidth with only 64% efficiency. What is up with this terrible efficiency.. :\

Yeah there isnt a command rate option in the bios.$!@@$

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 5:49:35 PM, on 9/28/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\D-Link\D-Link DWA-552 Xtreme N Desktop Adapter\acs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Common\ViewpointService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\WgaTray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\CTHELPER.EXE
C:\program files\steam\steam.exe
C:\Program Files\AIM6\aim6.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\AIM6\aolsoftware.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliType Pro\itype.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Raheel\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/
R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
O2 - BHO: &Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! IE Services Button - {5BAB4B5B-68BC-4B02-94D6-2FC0DE4A7897} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yiesrvc.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {B8C5186E-EC37-4889-9C2E-F73649FFB7BB} - C:\Program Files\Video ActiveX Access\iesplg.dll (file missing)
O3 - Toolbar: Protection Bar - {31615D5C-5126-448A-818A-A7CDFEE85A9B} - C:\Program Files\Video ActiveX Access\iesbpl.dll (file missing)
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTHelper] CTHELPER.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTxfiHlp] CTXFIHLP.EXE
O4 - HKCU\..\Run:

Back