• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

e6420 or e5200 oc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JigawattPSU

Registered
K then, this is my first post on these forums and i suppose i'm neither the first nor last person to show up with a problem... :\

So basically i am a newb at overclocking, i have done some with positive results, but i just want more and i know my PC should be capable of more.

The PC i want to oc:
ASRock 4core1600glan/m mobo
http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=4Core1600-GLAN/M
e5200 or e6420 (using the e6420 right now)
DDR2 800mhz Kingston ram 2x2gb
Club3D HD6770 gpu
And all this is fed by some Xilence PSU which i think is 500w, not sure tho (no sticker on it...)

For a while i was using the e5200 oc'ed @3,05ghz which i had acomplished by raising the fsb in bios to 244. I think the DRAM was about 300mhz then and the FSB/DRAM 4:5.

After trying to sell my e6420 which was just lying arround because the mobo of my other desktop fried recently i found out that it might just be better than the e5200 because of the 4mb cache instead of 2mb presuming they both are overclocked @ about 3ghz.
Today i swapped them and tried to oc the e6420 to 3ghz but ran into the same problem i had had before with the e5200. Upon reaching a certain FSB i just get no post and have to pull out the battery from the mobo to reset bios settings. Now i didn't really mind it with the e5200 since i still managed to get more than 3ghz out of it even if others are running it @ 3,2 or even more, but right now i am stuck with the e6420 @ 2,74ghz. My FSB is currently 343 and when i increase it to 344 or higher i get no post.

The main issue here might actually be the mobo since from what i understand it has very little overclocking options so my question is 'Can i overclock my e6420 to 3ghz or more?' or should i go back to my e5200 which was better for some fps gaming than the e6420 is right now being clocked @ 2,74ghz.

P.S.
I have only messed arround with the FSB for now so if you answers involve anything else like ram timings or something please try to explain it in a way even a chimp would understand.
Oh and thank you for your time reading this wall of text and helping out. :)

Last edited:
You should check the link of the mobo in my post, unless something has changed there is a manual for my mobo. In short no i do not have the option to change the vcore or atleast it's not obvious. I've read about some bios settings being hidden from users and can only be brought up by some key combinations. So unless the settings i need to overclock further are hidden from me i just have a really bad piece of junk for a motherboard. :(

it appears there is monitoring of the vcore but not direct control over it. There is a pin jumper you can change to move from fsb-800 to fsb-1066 for overclocking, which I can only guess increases the vcore a small amount as well. Please refer to pages 19 and 25 of your manual. Check the vcore in the HW monitor section of BIOS. Shut it down, change the jumper, start it up and check vcore again. If its raised a little, there ya go. If not, no dice. There are options for VTT voltage and NB voltage. Put these on high and see if you can get anymore out of it. Long story short, a darn good overclocking board for 775 can be had for well under $100.

AFAIK, the BSEL mod does not add Vcore, at least the one that changes FSB.

Last edited:
Well then it's just as i feared. I actually did find the jumper thing myself. Before that i had my e5200 @2,95ghz so i managed a 100mhz increase just by changing the jumpers. I also toyed arround with the VTT and NB but i couldn't even get a 1fsb increase after setting those to high. Thanks for clearing things up.

Atm i am looking for a way to change the vcore via software but i guess i'll just have to save up some cash for a new mobo and an i5 or i7. Don't feel like buying a new mobo with an old socket.

Maybe that does it then... I know the BSEL pad mods are just FSB or voltage, but not both last I checked. But it has been YEARS!

well... the jumper is probably just jumping the fsb BSEL pads anyway. Are you saying you can't do both the VID and BSEL mods on the same chip? I haven't done the mods personally, as the BIOS on my mobo allows me to adjust vcore and I've yet to encounter an fsb issue... but now i'm curious!

I was saying Im not sure, but think not, that the switch on the mobo does both voltage and FSB.

ah! ok... I see now. and yeah, the manual for his mobo definitely said just the fsb was changed with the jumper. thanks for clarifying for me!

Back