• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

e6850 Need advise for 3.6ghz+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hardup

Registered
Currently I am sitting stable at 3.6 with the current temps, both a pic of Idle, and Load.

Idle
oc1idlexu8.jpg

Load
oc1loadme7.jpg

I can not get it stable, over 3.6ghz no matter how high I raise the vCore, NB or anything else. Temps are well under check currently, and i see no reason why I cant push this thing furthur. I have posted at 3.6 - 4.2 but never able to get stable.

Memory timings are currently high, but somewhat OC'd past the rated 1600. The FSB is at a low 450 with a multi of 8. System is more stable with a multi of 8 and requires less voltage as well compaired to a multi of 9.

This is my first time attempting an OC, as well as my first build.

Any help would be greatly appriciated, and honestly how is this currently looking for my first shot at the OC'ing?

Specs,
Fully watercooled (2 loops, 1 on cpu/nb/mosfets, 2nd for 2xHD 2900 XTs)
e6850
Asus maximus extreme

Memory set to 1:2 is counter productive. Set it to 1:1, there is no need for any other setting and it must be taxing that ram like mad. It could well improve your OC as well.

Multi of 9 is more efficient and by adjusting your memory you should get a better OC with 9x and better memory timings.

Thanks for the direction. I will try the mem at 2t tonight, and give a multi of 9x with a fsb of 400, and go from there. With the multi higher, will the voltage req's be higher as well, or should I expect that at 3.6ghz with a multi of 8 and fsb of 450 the voltage req's would be the same at 3.6ghz with the 9x multi and fsb of 400 ?

And by changing the mem to 2t in the bios does that set it to 1:1 or is there somewhere else I need to be looking to do that?

Thanks.

You should be able to run 400x9 without bumping northbridge voltage at all, and just barely if at all for vcore. Definitely set the memory to 2T. What make and model is the RAM?

Well here it is at 4.0ghz, not honestly not sure if it is stable yet but i was able to run it in prime for 15 minutes, as well as orthos for 30 without it crashing.

Let me know what you think and or if something looks wrong. Anything lower on the vCore and ir crashes.

ocun9.jpg

Specs on the comp are as follows,
Asus Maximus Extreme
e6850
2x HD 2900 XT's
1xWD RaptorX
2GB OCZ3 P16002GK
Everything is watercooled by Koolance products. EVERYTHING.

Temps in photo are at idle, just after the 3dMark ran. At load while in prime and orthos they read something like

CPU: 46
Core1: 61-65
Core2: 62-67

Now honestly what kinda temps under load can this chip handle? I dont mind pushing it at all so just let me know.

Last edited:
f** yeah,, still keeping n eye on this.. my MB is n arse.. everything is crucial. grats on the FOUR....

Thx Tat2monsta!

But can anyone comment on the temps? I would like to know what the cores are capable of when being stressed and or how high is to high ?

Also, the memory I have running at a 1:1 ratio but isnt the speed on the currently a bit low for DDR3 ?

Anyone ? I would really like to know if the core temps are ok, or if im should start to worry about burning up the chip.

i'd say you're borderline. The rule of thumb is 60c. Although you'll never see 100% cpu usage on both cores while playing a game.

What do you have your FSB strap set at?

I use the 266 FSB Strap.....

also which BIOS are you using?

I use the 0702, mine works great....

Back