• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E8400 TEMP ISSUE,VERY DETAILED,looking for answers!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
unclewebb said:
I did some further testing with the E8400 and quickly found out that CoreTemp assuming that TjMax=105C is wrong.

I definitely didn't hold anything back on my new E8400 and went as high as 101C. From 60C onwards, it was clear that TjMax is 95C for the new E8000 series desktop processors.

My suspicions were correct... I always thought the TjMax @ 105C was too high. Now I feel better about my load temps. :D

Can someone explain this? My load temps in hardware monitor and Coretemp are around 60, are these accurate or off? If off, what are they more realistically? My temps are very believable and I've never thought they were off.

I have never trusted CoreTemp (nor have many others) because of the "frozen temp" issue. If it can't report correctly at low/idle temps, why should I trust it to report correctly at load temps?

RealTemp is working out nicely so far... I like it and hopefully an update to show temp in systray will be out soon. good night.

By doing some testing with a Fluke IR Thermometer I have discovered a significant problem with the DTS data that programmers are basing their core temperature results on. The DTS does not output temperature data that is linear to the actual core temperature across the entire operating range of the processor. Intel individually calibrates each one to reliably trigger thermal throttling at TjMax. That's great but I've found that when the DTS moves more than 35 degrees away from TjMax, the DTS data no longer changes at the exact same rate that the core temperature is changing at.
Interesting. So essentially it's entirely possiable that with Intel procs, we've been getting inaccurate idle temps for as long as ondie sensors have been read. Although this way still relies on guessing how far off linear temps are. It also throws an insane monkey-wrench in measuring temps between idle and load, since now no one knows how the DTS readings are curved.

My CPU temp is always lower then core temps...and its THERMALRIGHT coolers you want...you new people should always take store help with a grain of salt...in other words, consider it a lie till 3 different reviews on the web back up their stories...

As high as 120C load

19500gm9.jpg

Click to Enlarge

Like everyone else, my E8400 from its immediately risen temperature rises at a slow rate continuously. Load peeked to 120C @4GHZ.

The constant rise is faster at OC speeds compared to stock. With stock i got idle 35C and load 50-53C.

I have watercooling at 400L/Hr, and the waterblock is room-temp to touch at both stock and OC load. Water feels only tiny bit warmer on OC load after 10mins in orthos. Doesn't feel like 80+ at all. More like 30-35 straight from CPU.

Did the PROCHOT#: Status/History flags get set in RealTemp?

Is your waterblock bolted down all the way? Did you try removing the block to see if you had a good mount by looking at the TIM?

4.3GHz at 1.296v...very nice!

Is your waterblock bolted down all the way? Did you try removing the block to see if you had a good mount by looking at the TIM?

That is exactly what I was going to ask.

Despite the inaccurate sensors at idle, delta to tjmax is usually accurate in that high range, unless you have a borked sensor, but both of yours are reading same. In that pic you likely are at 16C to tjmax, and your core temp likely is actually 80C (could be slightly higher but unlikely lower as realtemp is based on IR readings of casing).

And if your heatsink is only warm to touch, I would wonder about TIM/attachment as well.

And yeah, I wish my cpu did 4.3 with 1.3v.

I'm running an e8400 and having the same problems, temp gauge on my case says 30-32 idle, bios says 28 29, software programs say around 40-50....I think the thing we should all look at is, as long as the cpu is running stable, not crashing, and you can feel no major heat off the thing then its fine...no matter what it says temps are at. Just go into bios and set the cpu to shut down before it becomes unstable, make sure your cooling system is working and forget about it.

I'm running an e8400 and having the same problems, temp gauge on my case says 30-32 idle, bios says 28 29, software programs say around 40-50....I think the thing we should all look at is, as long as the cpu is running stable, not crashing, and you can feel no major heat off the thing then its fine...no matter what it says temps are at. Just go into bios and set the cpu to shut down before it becomes unstable, make sure your cooling system is working and forget about it.

With the E8400 (and any other 45nm chip I believe) you MUST use Real Temp if you want a correct reading. Any other program will assume the TJ Max is 105c when in reality it's 95c (for 45nm chips). The result of using other programs is a reading of 10c too high. Just subtract 10c if you want...

We have no idea what the real TJMax is on the 45nm Pro Noob. It is our "best guess". Intel didn't and won't release the numbers, that means we do not know for sure. We should be using the distance to TJMax anyway, which CoreTemp and RealTemp both do.

Wow Dr_Ripper That's a cherry chip there. Is that stable or didn't you go that far due to heat issues? As suggested, I'd make sure it's bolted correctly and the TIM is applied properly; too much and you'll see higher temps than normal.

Edit - Mind if I ask the batch? I know you have bigger issues atm.

We have no idea what the real TJMax is on the 45nm Pro Noob. It is our "best guess". Intel didn't and won't release the numbers, that means we do not know for sure. We should be using the distance to TJMax anyway, which CoreTemp and RealTemp both do.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification.

What watercooling are you using specifically? its not a thermaltake kit is it? There is no way it could cope with a 4.3ghz proc. My pump operates at 1200L/Hr for example. If it isn't a kit (quote what kit it is if you have one) then what size radiator and piping are you using?

Because the temp is steadily rising it indicates that the cooling isn't up to the job. Dose it hold the tempurature hold if the CPU is stock?

Also the water in the loop will increase in temprature as a whole. You don't actually get hot and cold sections.

Back