• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E8600 + Rampage Extreme = High Temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dominick32

Senior Solid State Aficionado
Rig:
Asus Rampage Extreme (stock 7/8/2008 bios)
E8600 Batch Q820A405 VID=1.156v
9 X 400 , 1.16 vcore 3.60 GHz
Cooling = Swiftech Apogee GT WC'ed
Corsair Dominator 2GB, DDR3-2000
Sapphire 4870X2

I have spent about 12 hours trying to figure out these issues I am having with CPU temperature. Bios, Core Temp and Real Temp are all reporting idle temperatures of 48*C to 52*C and load temperatures of between 70*C to 80*C. I havent ever had temperatures like these with any conroe, penryn, etc. and I have been through at least 15 to 20 cpu's over the last 2/3 years including my current QX9650 which would load right around 66*C using 1.50 vcore on this exact same water setup. I had remounted and re-applied AS5 three times already and have been Overclocking and watercooling for many years now, so I am sure that I have perfect contact.

For kicks and giggles, I currently installed the stock Intel HSF to see if that made any changes. 52*C idle and I have encroached the 85*C mark :eek: loaded..

Any ideas guys? Bad sensors? An issue with the Rampage extreme reporting temp?

Thanks in advance.

Dom

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 591
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 600
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 619
  • idle.jpg
    idle.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 625
:drool:

I can tell you tomorrow when mine arrives...will be running a 3110...

As much as I have been keeping up on the extreme...I havent come across any sensor issues or bugs...not to say theres not...havent checked lately...but is there still only the first BIOS version on asus site?

No issues with the Apogee mounting which is a good thing because that is the block I am thinking about going with...

just 7 minutes of priority 10 priming. water cooling:
core temp = 81*C
real temp = 76*C
:(

Attachments

• water.jpg
    water.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 606
the TJ on the e8xxx series is 100, so change it accordingly, i cant see that helping more than 15c though, you can try updating the bios but the sensors have nothing to do with the mobo as far as I know. at 4400mhz at 1.325v i load out about 65c priming under a true 120.

You got a super low VID chip. It just runs that hot, it's it's nature.

Ross has one like it.

Whats up G?
But dont you feel that 81*C loaded temps for 1.16 vcore is just nuts on water?

PS- To everyone else I am going to put in a QX9650 tonight in the Rampage Extreme to see if maybe its a board/bios or cpu temp reporting issue. I heard that the stock rampage extreme bios may not be able to detect an E0 stepping properly.

Last edited:
OK, here is some rather strange news. But positive news. I was able to take an old Artic Freezer 7 pro out of the closet for some testing. I have decided to ditch the water setup completely until Nehalem and I think i'm just gonna let this E8600 sit with low to mid end air cooling for a few months.

Anyway, here is the news. Updated to Beta Bios Revision 0403. And viola core temp and real temp have dropped to an idle air temp of 37*C respectively @ 1.17 vcore. This is definitely a much safer margin for me. This chip has clocked 4.0 GHz at 1.17 without breaking a sweat so this definitely gives me some breathing room to clock. Just figured I would keep you guys posted. I believe the original rampage extreme bios did not recognize and detect the E0 stepping properly.

Dom

Attachments

• stable.jpg
    stable.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 532
DOM,

Gautam is right on...some of the new E8600s run like mini nuclear reactors in melt down. I haven't seen any get as hot as yours but there are quite a few that are up there.

As for the RE, you should get 0403 BIOS...:beer:

EDIT...you beat me with your post :p

check this out. same default clockspeed 3.33GHz and 1.17 vcore orthos loaded for 25 minutes or so. That same 81*C under water cooling from yesterday is now down to 51*C loaded on low end air cooling. WOOT!

Attachments

• yo.jpg
    yo.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 553
switch it back to water and start attacking the Benches!! :beer:

Back