• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Early Results - P4 2.0(C1)@3.0ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LarryJoe

Good news and bad news. The good news is that I reached my minimum goal of hitting 3.0ghz stable. I taded my original 2.0 NW plus $25 for the new C1 stepping from someone who pulled 6 chips out of new Dells. So for $25 net, I am happy. The bad news is that it took 1.75 volts to get there stable. Stable for me is Prime 95 forever. So far so good, 24 hours of Prime95 is good enough for me but it has not been 24 hours, but you kind of know when it will do it or not. The seller had 6 chips and a few did 3.32 at default voltage, so he says. He mixed the 6 up and shipped them out. I assume the lucky folks got the 3.32's. This chip will not go that high with air. It took a lot of work to get to 3.0ghz. All in all - a nice bump in OC potential from the original 2.0A, where 2.5 was a lot of work with air. The details:

SL6GQ
Temp 42 min 62 under Prime95 Torture Test
Volts 1.78 High, 1.72 Average per MBM
AVC Sunflower
AS3
RAM at 3X 450

I have a CPIUD screenshot if someone want to host it.

I will try for higher only if it can go higher with the same voltage. I want to let it run at 3.0 for a while. You never know.....I'll keep you posted. Any comments on the voltage? Dangerously high?

Last edited:

jdmcnudgent

nice, i read about those chips over at the [H] forum, and its nice to see he came through. nice lookin chip you got there. i had a 2 gig celly, with the c1 stepping, and my max effort was 3329, with 1.7v, and i KNEW that the 2.a chips would be about the same.:cool:

jdmcnudgent

NyTe said:
who did u get this from that was ripping processors out of dells? sounds shady
no, its not shady at all. its common sense that the major computer manufactures are using OEM chips, and amazingly, the c1 woodies are showing up sooner in the oem flavor. so, the thing to do is to buy a stripped down dell, swap the cpu, and then sell it on ebay.;)

nodsetse

LarryJoe said:
Any comments on the voltage? Dangerously high?
I don't consider 1.75v "dangerous", partly because Intel lists it as max, so I wouldn't give it any more. Should be fine provided you can keeps the temps below ~63'C, such that it doesn't throttle. Anyway, thanks for posting the result, I'd been waiting to hear. I've also got a cele 2.0 that did >3GHz easily, and was hoping the C1 P4-2.0 would do as well. Guess I'll start checking the online retailers to see who might have one. :D

Edit: Unless you want to sell me yours!? :rolleyes: ;)

Last edited:
OP
L

LarryJoe

I myself think the voltage is too high. Funny thing is that I can pretty much run at 2910 with close to default voltage. So 2910 at 1.60 vs. 3.0/3.1 at 1.75 - I think I may run it at 2910.

Jirnsum

LarryJoe said:
I myself think the voltage is too high. Funny thing is that I can pretty much run at 2910 with close to default voltage. So 2910 at 1.60 vs. 3.0/3.1 at 1.75 - I think I may run it at 2910.

Sounds like a very good idea :cool:

nodsetse

LarryJoe said:
So 2910 at 1.60 vs. 3.0/3.1 at 1.75 - I think I may run it at 2910.
From that perspective, I'd have to agree. If the one I get does as well, I'd run the 1.6v/2910 on a 24/7 basis, and crank it up to 3.1 just for 3DMark benching. :)

Johnny Mo

Registered
Has any brave soul tried an OEM 1.8-2.4 from one of the 'higher volume' resellers lately (ie. the cheapest ones on pricewatch)?

Seems logical that these cheap chips might be C1 steppers...

Johnny Mo