• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EAT IT!! Minnesota cooling at it's best.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gravity Man

QuiteCold.jpg

Outside Temp.: 0° C
Case Temp.: 9° C
CPU Temp.: 12° C (Athlon XP internal diode)
Window Position: Wide Open
Comfort Level: I'm a bit chilly :p
Cooling: Danger Den Maze 2, Eheim 1250, Black Ice Extreme

Anyone want to challenge me for coldest system without a pelt, vapochill, LN2, dry ice, etc.? :p

Lt. Max

hehehe. my friend in canada will own u soon ;)
he has no radiator, he has a res outside and tubing running about 10 feet to his maze 3 :) the res is like 10 gallons,passivly cooled by right now -7c weather.. keeps water to about 10-15c.. he gets 22c full load or so :) his name is skinart his on the forums too.. he said he'll have -30 c weather soon :D

edit: his pumps is weak.. like 80gph he said.. plus the pressure so like 40 gph thru his stuff at best

rustymaitland

right now, with my window open....

13 degrees case temperature
19 degrees cpu temperature and both dropping steadily!!
no water cooling here.

OP
Gravity Man

Gravity Man

Lt. Max said:
hehehe. my friend in canada will own u soon ;)
he has no radiator, he has a res outside and tubing running about 10 feet to his maze 3 :) the res is like 10 gallons,passivly cooled by right now -7c weather.. keeps water to about 10-15c.. he gets 22c full load or so :) his name is skinart his on the forums too.. he said he'll have -30 c weather soon :D

edit: his pumps is weak.. like 80gph he said.. plus the pressure so like 40 gph thru his stuff at best
Just wait. Today is pretty warm. Yesterday was much colder, and I don't even want to think about January. Even if I can't beat him, I can always change the rules and call him a cheater. :p j/k

rustymaitland- Very nice. Is your CPU temp measured with a diode or a thermistor? Either way it's quite impressive for air. What HSF are you using?

EDIT: Just looked at your sig

rustymaitland

Gravity Man said:

Just wait. Today is pretty warm. Yesterday was much colder, and I don't even want to think about January. Even if I can't beat him, I can always change the rules and call him a cheater. :p j/k

rustymaitland- Very nice. Is your CPU temp measured with a diode or a thermistor? Either way it's quite impressive for air. What HSF are you using?

EDIT: Just looked at your sig

yeah thanks! weather here is cool but not as cold as it will get in january, true. ontario winters are nasty! working on some ducting ideas i have right now. would like to keep the window open all the time but wife would have my arse. my piranhas would prolly freeze to death as well. sorry... measured by diode.

Nico3k

bah my system gets up to 45C on hot days. stupid hot southern california weather :( it was 102F in my room the other day

juliendogg

down in the teens here, i'd do the same but i'm not interested in freezing myself to death! lol. i did try that once last winter when i was aircooled with a swiftech mcx370c. got the core temp down to 18. but brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... lol.

wildfrogman

I would insulate my harddrives and such so they dont get too cold. Harddrives seem to really not like large temp changes and die. Maybe small heater elements? heheh sort of odd thinking of overclocking and having to warm stuff up to get it to work good.

Lem6687

How can I check the temps inside my computer. I have ****ty BIOS and it doesnt display the temperature, is there any program that allows you too see it?

Fever

wildfrogman said:
I would insulate my harddrives and such so they dont get too cold. Harddrives seem to really not like large temp changes and die. Maybe small heater elements? heheh sort of odd thinking of overclocking and having to warm stuff up to get it to work good.

Nah, my father owns a computer business and he's always leaving hard drives out in his car. -20c doesn't seem to affect them. :)

Oh, nice temps man! Are you wearing a coat?;)

It's -5c here right now, I might just have to crack open my window soon. :D

OP
Gravity Man

Gravity Man

Fever said:
Nah, my father owns a computer business and he's always leaving hard drives out in his car. -20c doesn't seem to affect them. :)
If they aren't on, the temperature shouldn't be a huge problem, but when they are running, you should keep them at a reasonable temperature. I plan on insulating mine sometime soon.

wildfrogman

hmm, on harddrive temps maybe its temp swings while you operate~save data when its cold and then corruption when the platters get warm. I may have to hunt down some white paper or study or such to be exactly sure but i think that was the main problem, large temp swings while in operation.

OP
Gravity Man

Gravity Man

I'm gueesing that it has something to do with thermal expansion/contraction. If your bearings are made of a different metal from the other parts, your bearings may get too loose or they may seize depending on the temperature. Just a guess.

hooziewhatsit

I can come close..
down here in Klamath Falls Oregon, it's currently about 24F out. My pIII [email protected] just went down to a case temp of 3C and cpu of 25 (crappy dragon orb hsf)

edit: case is hovering around 0-1C, and will go lower tonight, and the cpu is at 22C :)

Last edited: