• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EBay newbie question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BigSmokey

I placed a bid on an item and I thought I was using the "buy now" option. The item listed for 5.99 and the buy now was 6.00. I realized after the fact that I made a mistake. I didnt want to wait for a week and a half for the bid to end so I wrote the company a letter (they have 50 of the same product) and bid on the same item (different item number) for the 6.00. They have been paid for this already.

The replied to my letter:

Dear Customer:

Please understand that you have agreed to purchase
this item on the
auction. Unfortunately we are unable to cancel your
order once the auction
ends. We do wish for you to purchase our item.

If you are unable to hold your end of the agreement
then we would have no
choice but to file a Non Paying Bidder (NPB) warning
to eBay. By filing the
NPB warning, we will not have to pay a fee for eBay
for the auction.
However, we will not leave a negative feedback.

Thank you for your understanding.

So I sent them this:

I think we have a miscommunication. I have retracted my bid on item #3068232263. This retraction is within the allowable retraction policy allowed by EBay (quoted below). I mistakenly entered the wrong bid price on this item. I notified you. I immediately placed the correct bid on the identical item (also sold by you) #3066884491 for which you have already received payment.

I hope you don’t leave negative feedback about this auction as I am a new member and made a mistake. I followed the policy to correct the matter.

EBay policy is as follows:

Exceptional Circumstances Only

There are, however, a few exceptional circumstances under which you may retract a bid. These are if:

* You accidentally enter the wrong bid amount. For instance, you bid $99.50 instead of $9.95.
Note: If this occurs, re-enter the correct bid amount immediately after you retract your bid. If you do not place another bid, the retraction will be in violation of eBay's policy and could result in your suspension.

Was I right to retract this bid? I dont want two of them.

Kid Payne

I believe that counts as a bid retraction only. When you enter a price higher than the listed price, it goes automatically to proxy bitting, where ebay will bid to the amount you entered against other bitters, until someone bids above your maximum bid, in which case you're outbid.

I know the $.01 difference is petty, especially when they have for sale a number of the same item. But as far as I can tell, the guy selling has the upper hand here.

Hopefully he'll agree to what you've done and just let this one go.

OP
BigSmokey

BigSmokey

Eh screw em. I have no feedback, he has hundreds. My negative feedback for him wpi;d be a blemish. Im not trying to screw him, I just made a newbie mistake. I still bought from him and he has several days left for that other auction.

Kid Payne

BigSmokey said:
Eh screw em. I have no feedback, he has hundreds. My negative feedback for him wpi;d be a blemish. Im not trying to screw him, I just made a newbie mistake. I still bought from him and he has several days left for that other auction.

On what grounds would you leave him a negative feedback?

When I placed my first bid ever on ebay, I typed the wrong amount then quickly changed it, and there were no problems because I was the first bidder anyways. On my second or third, i dont remember, I bought something and they only took paypal. I had to join paypal after that. My point is, you'll learn as you go, but the most important thing is to completely read the description of the item for sale, and if you're not satisfied, then email the vendor. Don't ever bid if you have unanswered questions that are specific to the reason you're buying the item.

OP
BigSmokey

BigSmokey

I would leave negative feedback if he tried to stick me with 2 of them. I want one. I paid for one. He took my money for one.

I made an obvious mistake, quickly contacted him, and still bought his product. If he wants to try to screw me over a penny, Ill leave him negative feedback because thats just bad business.

Silversinksam

Moderator/ Silver Paste Taster©
BigSmokey said:

Was I right to retract this bid? I dont want two of them.

I was going to suggest a bid retraction, and this is one of the few legit reasons to use the bid retraction policy.

He wont leave you negative feedback as your still buying one at the B.I.N. price

Don't leave him a Negative unless he either doesn't ship the item you paid for, or other legit mitigating circumstances.