• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Edge now available for Windows 7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Wait so is this update with Edge ok or not. Saw a comment earlier saying it can mess up other browsers.

Installed this on my Win 7 laptop if this is going to mess stuff up, not sure if a side effect of this update was my payments on aliexpress not going through but it stopped working after this update, Can I system restore this away?

Try the system restore. It should return the system to a condition that predates the browser upgrade. But if you check for restore points and there are none that might mean it can't be done.

Yeah, thought I had a restore point however no luck. I tried to uninstall the update which the computer rebooted and did the whole 'updating windows' thing.

It was still there. Went into progs and features and uninstalled edge from there and same result.

MS is now going to start force-opening of certain websites with edge ONLY. Ever more reasons to ditch MS, google et al.

What do you mean "force-opening of certain websites with edge"? Are you talking about Microsoft websites?

They want to force people to use edge. Edge is now just Chrome but for windows. Once installed impossible to remove btw. They added a ...bho.dll to IE which then checks for the 'blacklisted' sites (over 1100 at present). Basically if your running windows and want to watch netfilx or hulu etc etc etc, ms is going to force chrome (read google) down your throat whether you like it or not. I hate both companies and quite frankly don't gas what they do as I will never ever let them leash me. Pretending they either own everything and think they're going to herd everyone like cattle using smartphones and "media"? Screw em both straight to hell. Here's a link.
https://hothardware.com/news/microsoft-forcing-edge-for-certain-sites

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

If google had their way there'd be only one phone for sale. MS is basically telling us there should be only one browser, and it isn't even their's. It's really just a sick (slick?) way of shoving google up everyone's arse via windows10.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

I told you guys they were merging with google. Tbqh it's obvious they already did hoping noone will notice. "Now you don't have to..."
When choices don't exist neither will you. 'Conform Or Else'. Mrs. Google's new catchy phrase.

Make no mistake. Chrome is THE windows browser, period. Bowsers need to conform to the web. Not the other way around. MS nor google can be trusted for one's privacy or security. Forget the fact all communications are not encrypted by default. Isp's being allowed to log every little detail is a disaster google is taking advantage of, and not in our favor whatsoever.

Last edited by a moderator:
They want to force people to use edge. Edge is now just Chrome but for windows. Once installed impossible to remove btw. They added a ...bho.dll to IE which then checks for the 'blacklisted' sites (over 1100 at present).

Both Microsoft and Google do everything they can to dominate the market but F I R E F O X is still there and works.
Microsoft has always had some form of 'IE which then checks for the 'blacklisted' sites' or similar, they've just modified it now. Some of these things can actually be turned off, some cannot, You know where you can modify things? F I R E F O X

Basically if your running windows and want to watch netfilx or hulu etc etc etc, ms is going to force chrome (read google) down your throat whether you like it or not.

You know how you can watch netfilx or hulu etc etc etc on a non-Microsoft or a non-Google owned product?

Say it with me now: F I R E F O X

If google had their way there'd be only one phone for sale.
As long as it's not an Apple product, now that would be a hell-world.

I told you guys they were merging with google.
Make no mistake. Chrome is THE windows browser, period.
They are not merging ANY time soon.
Is that a fire after that period, or a is that a fox? Why, it's F I R E F O X!!! :D

InternetBrowserWarsInternetExplorer.jpg

Uh, so did I fail removing Edge from my Windows 7 system then? I had no restore point so uninstalled the update and rebooted my machine the uninstalled Edge from prog and features. Will this still be lurking around on my machine then?

If there is other stuff to remove can anyone let me know what else needs to be removed.

Try using the registry clean tool in Ccleaner free version.

Ooh, brother, this entire century we advised people on the forums to *not* run registry "cleaners" since they break more things than they fix and no one has ever tested measurable performance increases before and after running registry cleaners. This forum is filled with threads explaining why they are the Snake Oil of the 21st century.

I personally use CCleaner but not to "clean" registry - instead to clean cache / browsing history from ALL the browsers with a single click.
This is accomplished with a shortcut /AUTO switch like this:
"C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner64.exe" /AUTO

I use FireFox on Win 10 Pro, I do not use any other browser on Windows or Linux either... Netflix (and literally everything else) is working 100% fine for me.

Doesn't matter if you browse with FF only. The point is Chrome is being shoved up your arse whether you like it or not and it can not be removed (unless you have an actual backup disc image and even then who knows... MS plays games with their user base, key word being USED). Obviously netflix is still working. Spectrum just forced everyone who was using their streaming services through their browsers (television with ff or whatever), to upgrade to windows 10, OR, go through google to get the tv stream, ie. roku or chromebook type 'logins' just to watch their infinite reruns at exorbitant prices mixed in with the endless propaganda of drugs and "equality" BS. Point is everything is being forced through google who I despise.
As for FF, I don't trust them anymore. My smartphone would like it if the mozilla location service was always turned on (I uninstalled it) I don't use FF official unless my other browsers give me a hard time. In other words, it ceased to be my main browser many moons ago. I like Basilisk but use waterfox, palemoon, and the tor browser, all which have built-in trackers in the smartphone aps (Fennec/Fenix). Midori's not bad in linux either.
It's a short time before I erase windows altogether and run linux only. My scanner won't scan in color in linux. When I get that sorted winblows is HISTORY!

Last edited:
Back