• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Effects of heat on overclocked card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Captain Turd

I'm considering buying one of those VGA silencers that everyone's talking about so I got to thinking... does stock cooling restrict the overclock on a graphics card enough to justify buying a separate cooling system? One problem I have with my 9500 Pro is the way it's positioned in my case and on the motherboard, the fan actually blows down. That by itself is causing bad airflow. Right now I have it clocked to 335MHz core and 310MHz memory. How much higher would it go with a VGA silencer?

Also, does the silencer fit on an X800?

Well how much higher depends on your card I have a 9500 non pro softmodded with a vga silencer on it and I'm at 400/305 The nice thing about the silencer is heat exits the rear of the case.

Probally, if it lowers your temps and lets you gain on your overclock it's worth $15 :)

Also, now you won't have the hot air from the card blowing into your case, it will be blowing out the back of your case where it doesn't really matter :)

Back