• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Either I'm doing something very wrong or I really lost the silicon lottery

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

3|ink

Registered
I'm trying to overclock my i-7 6700k with very poor results. Basically the highest I've been able to get it to is 4.2gh before hitting the 1.35 voltage wall. (I tried increasing to 1.45 and even that that my system is unstable at 4.3gh.)

Temperature is not a problem. I bought and installed a water cooler today and I get around 51 on load at 4.2gh. My motherboard is an ASRock x99 Extreme 4.

Am I doing something very wrong or did I get absolutely hammered in the silicon lottery?

ETA: I just noticed that my CPU and motherboard seem to be incompatible. My motherboard is an LGA 2011-3 socket and my CPU is an LGA 1511. How is my computer even working? Could this be the source of my overclocking issues? I bought the CPU and motherboard two years ago from Microcenter. They were bundled together so I assumed they were compatible.

Last edited:
Wow looks like you lost the silicon lottery.:( Make sure your not overclocking system agent.

I'm trying to overclock my i-7 6700k with very poor results. Basically the highest I've been able to get it to is 4.2gh before hitting the 1.35 voltage wall. (I tried increasing to 1.45 and even that that my system is unstable at 4.3gh.)

Temperature is not a problem. I bought and installed a water cooler today and I get around 51 on load at 4.2gh. My motherboard is an ASRock x99 Extreme 4.

Am I doing something very wrong or did I get absolutely hammered in the silicon lottery?

ETA: I just noticed that my CPU and motherboard seem to be incompatible. My motherboard is an LGA 2011-3 socket and my CPU is an LGA 1511. How is my computer even working? So am I! Could this be the source of my overclocking issues? I'm guessing so. I bought the CPU and motherboard two years ago from Microcenter. They were bundled together so I assumed they were compatible. And you're just now getting around to trying them out? Any chance that you could get a refund? If they intentionally sold it as bundled package they should refund you. The mistake was theirs to begin with.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...0005592/processors/intel-core-processors.html

Not exactly a 6700k, there. What are the temps when it crashes?

My mistake. I don't know how I got it in my head that I have a 6700k. I have a 6800k, which is compatible with a 2011 slot. This is so embarrassing. My apologies everybody. I spent all day working on the computer and I guess I'm just tired.

So now I'm back to square 1. My CPU and motherboard are compatible. But I'm not having any success overclocking past 4.2ghz.

To answer your question my cooling solution is water. I just installed it today with a new case (hence, why I am exhausted). My temps are generally pretty good at 4.2 ghz. My CPU gets to 50 on load at 4.2 gh.

I don't know what the temps are when it crashes because it crashes as windows is loading. I don't even get a chance to run a stress test.

No problem, we've all had late nights at times. LOL But those chips have somewhat of a reputation for getting hot. It would be worthwhile to check your temps at 1.35v. Those CPUs are rated at 140 watt TDP stock, so 600 MHz over that will send that figure right out the window.

No problem, we've all had late nights at times. LOL But those chips have somewhat of a reputation for getting hot. It would be worthwhile to check your temps at 1.35v. Those CPUs are rated at 140 watt TDP stock, so 600 MHz over that will send that figure right out the window.

The CPU gets 50c on load at 1.35.

That's not bad at all under load. There's more room for voltage, provided you stay under the max rated for the chip, but you may be at that CPUs max clocks regardless.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Speaking of late nights, this is mine. Wingman has OC'd a few of Intel's finest, so you should be in good hands. :D

That's not bad at all under load. There's more room for voltage, provided you stay under the max rated for the chip.

Max is 1.45. If I go 4.3ghz @ 1.45, windows freezes at load. I guess it's as wingman says. 4.2ghz is pretty good for this card. I was thinking it can get as high as 4.7ghz but I was probably looking at 6700k overclocking numbers.

In either event it looks like I need a better CPU to get the results I'm looking for.

Thanks all for the help.

Back