• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EK Supreme LT suffice?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

J-O_S-H

Hi Guys just wanted to ask a simple question:

Scenario ::

In about 2 months or so (mid to end of Jan) i'm looking at getting my first i7 setup.

It is likely that i will get the EVGA X58 SLI LE with the Acetal EK full board block.

img_27535z7n.jpg

I want this watercooling to be asthetically pleasing as possible.

Therfore I have come to the conclusion that the EK Supreme LT will look the best since it matches the MB Blocks ::

F653BFBB-A563-EB02-85487E8E20F41754.jpg

The i7 CPU block roundup over at skinee labs concluded that the block performs 4 degrees worse than the Swiftech XT...

SimpleTemps.png

Is this a big deal condsidering the EK Supreme LT costs around half the price?

WIll it perform efficiently enough for an i7 920 @ 4GHz?

(I will be using a XSPC RX360, TC PA120.3 or the new EK 360 rad depending on if iI can get one)

I like things to look nice... the Blocks will be equipped with Bitspower Shiny Black Compression fittings and Feser Red 3/8"ID 1/2"OD tubing.

The CPU block will be good enough for you setup. What you need to worry about more is how much radiator you going to use. Is the motherboard block going to be on the same loop as your cpu. If so, I would suggest two different loops. That radiator will not be able to handle that much overclock as well as that chipset cooler.

The CPU block will be good enough for you setup. What you need to worry about more is how much radiator you going to use. Is the motherboard block going to be on the same loop as your cpu. If so, I would suggest two different loops. That radiator will not be able to handle that much overclock as well as that chipset cooler.

Hmm... That sounds like a problem... I really only want a single loop setup... I have a HAF 932 and just wanted an internal 360mm radiator... I could us a riser kit and mount a 480mm on top of the case instead... will this be sufficient for CPU and Chipsets?

I would use a few sets of these ::

m4-rad-screw-ext-s.jpg

The will allow me to mount a radiator 34mm above the top of the case which will clear the plastic tray on the top of the case.

SO that it may end up like this ::

49c6f019ed.jpg

Last edited:
You should be okay with that. Just dont expect great temps. And you would have to use some pretty good high powered fans. Sense chipset temps are not that vital could you do a second loop with just a 120 rad for the chipset block. and leave the 360 rad for your cpu. With that High of a overclock your going to need a lot of rad.

I normally don't chime in for pretty over performance builds, but I have experience with almost all of the parts you have listed except the chipset block.

Does the CPU block really have to match to be aesthetically pleasing? I guarantee you that if you throw an XT on there you'll like the way it looks. That being said, there's really nothing wrong with that LT for your purposes. It's a good block for a good price.
Just put the CPU as the first block in the loop so that it gets the coolest fluid. The Chipset block should still outperform air cooled sinks, regardless of whether or not there is a CPU block b4 it.

However, thermal efficiency is only one part of the equation. You still have flow restriction and mounting mechanism to take into account. Personally, I would like a nice low restriction CPU block if you are going to be putting Full coverage GPU or Chipset blocks in the loop. Both the LT and the XT have relatively low restriction, so both are good choices. However, the XT has a great mounting mechanism and includes a backplate. The same cannot be said for the LT.
There are other choices as well, that would suit your criteria. The HK REv3 LT for example. Good price performance as well as mounting and low flow resistance.

Also, a high quality triple Rad like the PA120.3 or RX360 with some nice medium speed fans should do you just nicely internal or external, as long as you ensure you're getting nice cool external air at the intakes. I really don't see you overwhelming a high quality low FPI rad with that setup, especially if you've chosen your fans properly.

What pump(s) are you going to use? I would recommend a Laing D5 or DDC3.2.

PS: Is this your first WC build?

Last edited:
Thank you for taking the time to reply...

I was originally going to get the XT... its just I saw that motherboard with those blocks and thought the LT would match perfectly...

I have a Laing DDC Pro 10w with EK X-top v2 (also in acetal)
I also have an EK spin bay reservoir (acetal)
I also own the original EK SUpreme (plexi top) though it is likely too restrictive for a multi block loop + I want something New.
I also have 3 x Silverstone 110CFM fans in white

Was going to get a Feser Xchanger to be honest since its cheaper in some places thatn the RX360.

Another possibiliy was the new EK rad since its less that £50

This is NOT first build... I had a simple cpu only loop before but killed my rad when I put it back in after cleaning it out.

Just to note... i'm not guaranteed to get that board etc... it was just to be educated on the matter incase I do... by the time I can actually buy it all there will likely be better variety of Mobos available.

Groovy. Well, I really like the Feser rad personally, and I think it's a good choice for a triple. The EK Supreme LT will suit you OK as well, it's just not the best. And I don't really think you'll be happy with the mounting mechanism if it's anything like the regular Supreme. Speaking of which, what did you think of mounting your plexi EK? I hated mounting mine, but loved the performance. I had the delrin top model.
That, and I'm pretty damn sure you still have to buy the backplate separate which is a crock.

Looks like you're pretty much set as far as everything else goes.
What kind of tubing? The black Primochill LRT would look kickass with that setup, and it happens to be very good tubing. I use it and I love it.

PS: Should have checked your sig b4 I asked if this was your first loop. sry.

I know that the EK mounting isn't perfect but once its done... it's done.

I already have a 2.5m blisterpack of red feser tubing and 10 shiny black bitspower compression fittings (also unopened)

I may still get the XT... but it depends on what money and mobo I end up with...

Thanks For You Help

J-O_S-H

Last edited:
Just throwing my $.02 in to the question. IMHO, the HK 3.0 LT (don't forget the back plate) will match just as well as the EK and, as you see in the chart, out perform it by a fair bit. It will be a bit more expensive, but it fits the matching and performance criterion.

Just throwing my $.02 in to the question. IMHO, the HK 3.0 LT (don't forget the back plate) will match just as well as the EK and, as you see in the chart, out perform it by a fair bit. It will be a bit more expensive, but it fits the matching and performance criterion.

I already suggested that. :rolleyes:

There are other choices as well, that would suit your criteria. The HK REv3 LT for example. Good price performance as well as mounting and low flow resistance.
Jk. Great minds think alike. :)
Although I made the mistake of assuming that they were thoughtful enough to include a backplate for the premium you pay for an HK, which you have pointed out is not the case.

They should just include the bloody backplate already. I mean really, who wants to mount a waterblock without one?
I got a nice 1366 backplate with my XT with option to have a free 775 and or 1156 plate sent out free of charge upon request (Compare to HK Rev3 CU). And a 775 backplate with my GTZ (Compare to HK Rev3 LT).

Guess where my business goes.

I also love the fact that with the XT you no longer need a separate retention bracket for 775 (or 1156 for that matter), only a different backplate.

PS: Congratulations on your blues hokie. :)

Quite right, sorry I missed that. You didn't include links though, so there was still on iota of purpose!

I don't know WHY they don't include the back plate for such a high dollar block, but they don't. Had I the money for a new block, the XT would be the direction it would go.

...and thanks!

Back