• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Electronis Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

snowmobile74

hey guys I have a 500GPH pump for my little water cooling system I was hopping to be able to lower the voltage on the pump its 120V AC

anyone know how i got about doing this?

juliendogg

yes, dimmer switch, or any type of variable resistor intended for 120v applications. one question.... why? if you lower the voltage supplied to your pump, you're going to lose flow and possibly overstress the pump.

stool

If your intention is to run it from when you start your system, consider using a relay. There is an article called Relays and Rheostats in the Miscellaneous section of Tips and Techniques.

OP
snowmobile74

snowmobile74

Stool: I dont care if the pump is on all the time cuz my comps on all the time

larrymoencurly: what get a new one? he he im too cheap for that besides this one was expensive enough!

juliendogg: I am on a quest for quiet!

ib69nu

before tackeling a project like this, you must know that AC power works differently than DC power. if you lower the voltage for the AC device it might not work, or it might just stop working all together. if it does work to lower the voltage, then you will still be stressing the pump way too much.
i dont claim to be an expert on DC or AC electricity, but i have read several posts warning about lowering the voltage to pumps.