• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Enable 2 CPUs in Win2K???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JimGreen

Registered
This may be a dumb question, but I just upgraded to an X2, that is, 2 CPUs on the AMD chip. I have Win2K installed and running with a single CPU. Win2K didn't recognize that I now have 2 CPUs and enable the 2nd. Is there any way to enable the 2nd CPU on the X2 without re-installing the OS from scratch and thus having to re-install all my installed software? TIA for your comments and suggestions.

Shelnutt2

Overclockers Team Content Editor
Yes all you have to do is reinstall the CPU driver to on that is multiprocessor instead of single. I can't remember if thats all you do, but I'm sure someone will come correct me if I am wrong.

MRD

I know that my win 2k pro box says it supports up to 2 cpus. However, I'm not sure if it supports dual cores.

Ascii2

JimGreen said:
This may be a dumb question, but I just upgraded to an X2, that is, 2 CPUs on the AMD chip. I have Win2K installed and running with a single CPU. Win2K didn't recognize that I now have 2 CPUs and enable the 2nd. Is there any way to enable the 2nd CPU on the X2 without re-installing the OS from scratch and thus having to re-install all my installed software? TIA for your comments and suggestions.
Try changing the "Computer" driver in Device Manager. If that fails, repair install Windows.

There is a small amount of risk involved (shouldn't be to your useful data however); if, after changing the "Computer" driver, a BSOD occurs and repair install is not available, Windows may not be restorable without having to reinstall installed software.

Captain Newbie

Senior Django-loving Member
JimGreen said:
1) Got proper BIOS installed (probably if it's a brand new motherboard)?
2) Fresh install of Windows with proper ACPI Multiprocessor PC driver? (aka the 'Computer' driver.)

OP
J

JimGreen

Registered
OK, I need to "reinstall" the ACPI driver? Exactly how do I do that? I went to device manager and let it search the Win2000 install disk. It said that the driver it found was already installed, but I let it re-install it anyway. Is this what I needed to do?

skab

Go to the device manager, then the very top computer, then it should say "ACPI MULTIPROCESSOR". I not then go to the properties, click on update driver but don't let it pick select the bottom box of show all devce drivers of this type ( or something along those lines) then click on next and it should show you a box with about five different types of drivers. You want the one that says "ACPI MULTIPROCESSOR PC", at least that's what it is on my P4 with hyperthreading. You'll probably have to restart after this.

OP
J

JimGreen

Registered
Thanks! That did it. I selected the "ACPI Multiprocessor PC" from the list, let the wizzard install it, and rebooted, and my system came up with Task Manager showing 2 CPUs functioning! Great! Thanks loads, that was easy!