• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

energy saving problems?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

danomite664

Ok, i am using win98 SE and I used to have the energy saving features enabled (both the monitor shutting off and hard drive turning off) but it was causing problems (i.e. computer freezing and me having to restart every time), so i just turned off the energy saving stuff. Should I worry about it causing any problems in the long run by not using this stuff?

jrbob

Not at all, I have read someplace that it is harder on the drives having them start and stop all the time than to just let them run.

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
I have it shut down the monitor in one hour as that will save over half the energy used by the computer. The HD shouldn't be hurt shutting down but if you have trouble waking up your system check and see if you also enabled the standby mode. I always had trouble with that too but not the monitor or HD.