• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Engine Coolant in Water Rig?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You do know that wood (example) is passing a liqud state b4 it turns in to gas, and catches fire? That to is then a liquid? Im sorry, i wasent the one who made the "rules" and decided that Mercury is supposed to be classifyed as a metal, and appart from the fact that it oxidices i dont know what could make it "have" to be a metal.. i mean hydrogen is supposed to be a realy good electric conductor at extrem temps, but its still classifyed as a gas.

Sorry.
B!

-=Mr_B=- said:
You do know that wood (example) is passing a liqud state b4 it turns in to gas, and catches fire? That to is then a liquid? Im sorry, i wasent the one who made the "rules" and decided that Mercury is supposed to be classifyed as a metal, and appart from the fact that it oxidices i dont know what could make it "have" to be a metal.. i mean hydrogen is supposed to be a realy good electric conductor at extrem temps, but its still classifyed as a gas.

Sorry.
B!

You're right, you didn't make the rules, but it also seems that we need to bring you up to speed: Nobody is saying Mercury isn't a metal... traditionally, an element or a group of elements called a molecule, including metal, can be in one of three states depending on temperature and pressure: solid, liquid, or gas. When a substance is liquid or gas, it is fluid, meaning it can flow. When it is a gas, it is fluid and compressible. When it is solid, it is not fluid. You seem to think that fluid is a fourth state, apart from the three, but this is not the case. It is simply a word to describe a physical property of liquids and gases.

As for your example about wood, you seem to have a warped sense of chemistry and physics. Solid wood does not melt into liquid wood and then turn into gas wood before catching fire. Wood undergoes a chemical reaction, which is an entirely different matter.

What i was meaning was simply the fact that everything "fluid" dosent automaticly make it a liquid, the wood example was a bad comparison, especialy as it it a multistage chemical process where just one step is liquid. My main point, where it seams be lost, i dont know, was the fact that mercury is, lets say it nice, heavy, poisionus, and has this funny thing about expanding alot, even when just being heated alittle. loads of things can be passed of as "liquids" if the exterior conditions are "made right" but it dosent make it a better coolant.

I never said it was imposible, just that i thought it was a bad idea. Possible even a really dangeroues one, and.. well, mercury is a exelent conductor, so please, dont have it leak on your components, espesialy as you cant really just "rinse it of" in the sink, Mercury, atleast over here, is a "controlled substance" meaning thats a pretty big crime to do sutch...

B!

-=Mr_B=- said:
What i was meaning was simply the fact that everything "fluid" dosent automaticly make it a liquid, the wood example was a bad comparison, especialy as it it a multistage chemical process where just one step is liquid. My main point, where it seams be lost, i dont know, was the fact that mercury is, lets say it nice, heavy, poisionus, and has this funny thing about expanding alot, even when just being heated alittle. loads of things can be passed of as "liquids" if the exterior conditions are "made right" but it dosent make it a better coolant.

I never said it was imposible, just that i thought it was a bad idea. Possible even a really dangeroues one, and.. well, mercury is a exelent conductor, so please, dont have it leak on your components, espesialy as you cant really just "rinse it of" in the sink, Mercury, atleast over here, is a "controlled substance" meaning thats a pretty big crime to do sutch...

B!

Nobody is going to use mercury as a coolant. You were saying that because mercury is a metal, it is not a fluid. We have been trying to tell you that because it is liquid, it is fluid. I don't think anyone has tried to tell you that all fluids are liquid.

What i said more specificly was:
Mercury technicaly aint a fluid, but a metal, so therefor usualy aint included in "coolant" comparisons..
I never said it dosent ACT as a fluid, just that it usualy was in the coolant comparison table, but rather in the cooler comparison table.. i cant see a enviroment that actually could use a cooler milled from mercury tho. (that dosent use copper or any other aloy with atleast the advantage of handling pre mounting)
I just made a observation, i never said its a brick hard metal to be bent or welded, I think someone read a little to much in to what i did say.. Prolly my blame, as im not english speaking.
B!

-=Mr_B=- said:
What i said more specificly was:

I never said it dosent ACT as a fluid, just that it usualy was in the coolant comparison table, but rather in the cooler comparison table.. i cant see a enviroment that actually could use a cooler milled from mercury tho. (that dosent use copper or any other aloy with atleast the advantage of handling pre mounting)
I just made a observation, i never said its a brick hard metal to be bent or welded, I think someone read a little to much in to what i did say.. Prolly my blame, as im not english speaking.
B!

I didn't have to read into what you were saying... you said

Mercury technicaly aint a fluid

Technically or otherwise, the fact remains that mercury is liquid at room temperature, and liquids are fluid

So what your saying is, just coz you WANT an argument, thats going nowhere, you on purpose ignore the rest of a sentence, just to have something to be messing with ?

You know what, this, for sure, is MY last post in this thread, but, if your statment should be held trye, then most things are fluids, since most things have a "liquid" state, that only depends on "room temperature" or "room preasure" so the point is way lost.

I was only stating the reason for why mercury usualy aint listed alongside with water, liquid oxugen, helium and other possible coolants on a "normal" colant comparison list.

I even said "technicaly" to show that i dident dissagre with the fact that its liquid, it still is listed as a metal, and THAT was my only point, Melted metals usualy is STILL regarded as metals, no mater if your able to handle them without a 10 feet stick or not.

With this, i'll consider myself done with this, if someone wants to read more into my posting, so be it. I cant be held responsible for what others do when they have to much spare time.

B!

well if you guys didn't know, water wetter, and zerex are both engine coolants. water wetter is called "Redline" water wetter. you use it in a radiator when your doing a fan delete.

Well yeah, I knew that. But aren't both used in water-cooling for their wetting, anti-microbial and and anti-corrosive abilities? Their cooling properties don't really come into it because a loop never gets hot enough for that feature to work. And aren't both products labeled as additives to other fliuds, and not sold as coolants themselves?

Nit-picking! ;)

Back