• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Enhance Pointer Precision function for games (mouse function)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
So, a rock was lifted off of me last night... I think. A buddy of mine asked if I had "enhance pointer precision" checked in mouse properties and if so, to disable it. As big of an FPS gamer I am, he was shocked I never heard of it and don't disable it.

For those who don't know, this feature is a type of mouse acceleration. When enabled Windows monitors how fast you move your mouse and adjusts DPI on the fly. Sounds like it's counterintuitive for FPS players...

After some google foo, I found his sentiment (that it should be disabled) seems to be in the majority.

Do any of you disable this 'feature'? Heard of it? Swear by it? Myth?

mouse.jpg

OP
EarthDog

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Disabling it feels like trying to work out a new sensitivity for me...almost starting over.

wagex

Chapstick Eating Premium Member
first thing i do on any computer is set the slider to the center (1.0) and disable pointer precision (acceleration)

mackerel

It's one of the first things I do on any Windows install I use. I can't stand acceleration profiles on mice. With prolonged use e.g. if I'm helping someone on their system/login and don't want to mess it up for them, I kinda start getting used to it, but still prefer it off. It does take a bit of time to adjust between the two settings. I find acceleration too slow at low speeds, but people who are used to it think my profile with it off is too fast. Why I like it, the pointer movement is always predictable with mouse travel distance. You also negate most need to ever lift the mouse outside of gaming.

By the way, Windows is the only OS that does it well out of the box. MacOS has an even more extreme baked in profile. It's super slow at low physical movement speed. And I never found a good solution to make it linear. Same problem on big name Linux distros. You can kinda reduce its strength but I never got it as smooth and linear as Windows. When looking for solutions, saw one dev ask why would you ever want to change it? To me this is a basic usability customisation and I'm amazed it isn't more widely supported.