• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

enough juice for pentium 4 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ferria

hi all,

i am running a pentium 4 2.2 ghz processor with only a 300w powersupply +4 fans +videocard TI 500.
when i am playing 3D games like ghost recon over the net after about 2-3 hours i get a random reboot from my computer /running win xp/.first i tought videocard too hot ,but never goes over 37-39C. CPU running kind high 50 -52C under full load.
what you guys think is psu too small or cpu temp too high?

thanks in advance

Cooler666

Disabled
I also get the same temperatures with a 300W power supply on a Northwood chip. maybe its a coincidence, or we just both have crap cooling. Either way an Enermax 430W for instance usually cools the case temperature between 1-7 celcius.
I don't think its enough power, my system barely makes it to windows :D.

cw823

Honeybadger Moderator
I'd cool the CPU better....whether that is the problem or not. Get a good heatsink.....if you're still running in to problems.....try the power supply....but at best you're out the money for a good heatsink/fan combo....which can be worth it's weight in gold.

OP
ferria

ferria

the problem is i have socket 423 ,nobody out there makes heatsinks for this socket so no upgrade i guess,try to put extra casefans thought

back to the psu,i am running "asus pc probe" software inbackground so i can check on psu output.sometimes i get funny results: 12v drops to 8v, vcore voltage jumps to 2. 25 default is 1.75and my 3v output drops to around 2volt

what you guys think,psu cant handle the demands or just faulty programm?