• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Enter the Matrix ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hookem

Abit IP35-Pro, Intel Q6600, 2 WD 6400AAKS hard drives in RAID-O, 2x2 G.Skill F2 8000, MSI 9600GT, Corsair HX520-X

Be using it to capture and edit video using Premiere...Will taking a slice of the Matrix give me any real world performance increase ???

Highly doubtful. Matter of fact, I don't think I've ever seen a real world test proving it helps at all.

Thanks for the reply...Can you setup do the Matrix thing and undo it without reformatting? Might give it a test drive if you can.

HDtach is coming up with 12.9ms Random access and 172.3MB/s Average read and everybody's favorite...LOL...363.8MB/s Burst Speed.

Do these numbers sound right for my setup with 128 stripe?

Thanks again.

Last edited:
From the first post of it, I got that his matrix'd RAID 0 had a a random access time of 9.4 ms, which I think is a significant improvement over 12.9 (like going from a 7200RPM hard drive to a Raptor).

I really do not care about boot up speed.

Really want the best performance for video stuff.

Last edited:
Does it not improve boot up speed?
Nobody has proven anything beyond showing it is faster with a benchmark. Now I'll certainly concede it should, but I'm not going to make claims unless I can have seen reputable proof but other people certainly have no qualms about doing so. And as stated, the OP is talking about video editing.

Abit IP35-Pro, Intel Q6600, 2 WD 6400AAKS hard drives in RAID-O, 2x2 G.Skill F2 8000, MSI 9600GT, Corsair HX520-X

Be using it to capture and edit video using Premiere...Will taking a slice of the Matrix give me any real world performance increase ???

For video editing, you want a high sustained transfer rate (STR), lower access times are less important.

So the access time benefit you get by short-stroking your drives (either by the partitioning method that tusken prefers or by creating a smaller RAID 0 "slice" in a Matrix array) isn't going to help your task.

However, there may still be a benefit for your work - the first array you create on a Matrix controller is on the outside of the disks' platters, which is the fastest part from an STR point of view. So if you could configure your system so that you had this "slice" be your work area and you didn't fill this slice up with other programs, OS etc, you would always be sure of getting the best possible STR from your drives. If you just put everything on one volume then as the volume fills up you are using the slower inner parts of the disk (which are often less than 50% of the STR of the outer).

I do some video editing and I use a 3-disk RAID 0 slice as my workspace, giving me about 300MB/sec throughput. It works very well for what I need.

Good points, but with only 1 array it wouldn't be a great idea to put your OS and apps on another array that resides on the inside of the disks.

Well I have 3 WD 6400AAKS...What would be my best option for video.

If push comes to shove I have 2 Segate 410's I could throw into the mix.

Well if you're willing to use them all, I'd put the OS and apps on one WD and RAID0 the other two and RAID0 the Seagates. Use one array as the source, one as the destination. Or with just the three, use one WD for OS and video source, use the two in RAID0 as the destination. Since writing is slower than reading, the array would best be used to pick up the write speeds and wouldn't be as lopsided trying to read from the array and write to one disk.

Well if you're willing to use them all, I'd put the OS and apps on one WD and RAID0 the other two and RAID0 the Seagates. Use one array as the source, one as the destination. Or with just the three, use one WD for OS and video source, use the two in RAID0 as the destination. Since writing is slower than reading, the array would best be used to pick up the write speeds and wouldn't be as lopsided trying to read from the array and write to one disk.

+1 that's exactly what i'd do too.

but i have a follow up question. wouldn't short stroking the RAID0 arrays via partitioning or matrix provide more speed?

this is something I'm hoping to test myself eventually, but i need to order more drives first. :)

+1 that's exactly what i'd do too.

but i have a follow up question. wouldn't short stroking the RAID0 arrays via partitioning or matrix provide more speed?

this is something I'm hoping to test myself eventually, but i need to order more drives first. :)
Well I'm sure there is some benefit, and if you have space to give up, go for it. But without testing, there is just no way to even fathom what it would be.

Back