• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EP-8K5A2+ saying I have PC2100 memory?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gingo

I noticed at the first boot up screen with my epox EP-8K5A2+ it said PC2100. But I have PC2700 installed. Do I have to raise the fsb to 166 before it says PC2700 ?

Also, how can I remove the EPOX splash screen when I first boot up ?

Kosmic

Gingo, I'm having the same problem with my PC3200 showing as PC2700 on my 8K5A2 (no plus, but that's just RAID missing, as far as I know)

Make sure you have the onboard jumper set to 133mhz. It comes set at 100. If that's already in place, yea try going up to 166 FSB and see what you get.

My jumper is at 133, my FSB is up to 185 (x10) but it only recognizes my memory as pc2700...

K1

ronin1967

Fortunately you can correct that in the BIOS, just because you install PC2700 doesn't mean it runs or is recognized as PC2700.

There are 3 settings in the BIOS which will determine the speed of RAM(By SPD-which reflects the current FSB, 133MHz, or 166MHz)

Let's assume you moved the jumper JCK1 from 1-2(Default 100MHz) to 2-3(133MHz) when you installed the motherboard, the default setting for the DRAM Clock is "By Speed" so your memory would run and display at PC2100.

Here is how to change that:

1. Enter your BIOS
2. Go to Advanced Chipset Features
3. Go to DRAM Clock/Drive Control
4. Select DRAM Clock
Assuming you want to keep the FSB at default(133MHZ)
5. Select 166MHz
6. F10/Save & Exit

Last edited:

Ishakir

Hello,

I have not changed it from 100 fsb default to 133. Would I see any difference if I did change the fsb on JCK1 to 133? Or is the BIOS able to override it and set it at 133.

What I'm trying to say is, is it worth the trouble to disconnect the machine, open up the case, and change the jumper?:beer:

Thanks a lot
-Ish-:cool:

Kosmic

Yes. Definitely DO take the time to do that. (come on, it's not THAT hard) :) When you do that and then raise your FSB to 166, your pc2700 will be treated as 2700. Plus, the 1/5 divider makes running at 166 no sweat for your pci/agp bus.

And Ronin: Thanks for the good info. I upped my FSB to 200 and it's recognizing my memory as pc3200 now. I'm running at 9x200 (my 1800+xp loves running at 1800 mhz) and have memory settings at turbo + 1t for the...uh...damn...last wait time config on the memory page in bios.

So far in my testing I'm totally stable at 200 FSB. I can hardly believe it, and I'm very happy. :) This corsair memory was definitely worth the $$. I will update my sig soon after I've tested this REALLY hard to be sure it's totally stable here...

K1

OP
gingo

gingo

yeah, once I raised the fsb to 166 it is now saying I have PC2700. One thing I noticed in the bios though, under system performance, there is like:
normal
high
turbo

or something like that, its on normal right now, what does setting it to the highest setting actually do?

smudged

It just up's the performance of your RAM 'turbo' being the fastest setting (if you get me) It can cause stability probs on some memory but I think you should be able to handle it. Try it you can always throw a bit more V's at it to get it stable

RangerJoe

All that is Man!
it doesnt show up at pc3200 because 1. you are running at pc3200 speeds (400 mhz fsb) and 2. its not REAL pc3200..just overclocked pc2700 chips...thats why

Tipycol

Ishakir said:
Hello,

I have not changed it from 100 fsb default to 133. Would I see any difference if I did change the fsb on JCK1 to 133? Or is the BIOS able to override it and set it at 133.

What I'm trying to say is, is it worth the trouble to disconnect the machine, open up the case, and change the jumper?:beer:

Thanks a lot
-Ish-:cool:

What is JCK1?
Originally posted by RangerJoe
it doesnt show up at pc3200 because 1. you are running at pc3200 speeds (400 mhz fsb) and 2. its not REAL pc3200..just overclocked pc2700 chips...thats why

Would you still consider it overclocked ram if JEDEC approved it? Just curious, cause I don't think it will perform any better once that occurs.

a1cnolan

yeah that one guys right. i have the same board. you can choose to set the ram speed separately from the fsb.. so i could say my 2700 was 2100 and roll on up to higher bus speed.....i think... haven't tried cause stupid ****ty ram isn't stable past 166...*******..yeah

bldegle2

this is simple

133=pc2100
166=pc2700
200=pc3200

anything inbetween the lower value will show the lower PC rating until the next level is reached, ie PC2100 will display all the way to 165FSB, than at 166 it becomes officially pc2700.

same for the other values.

most pc2100 will run the 166, but any higher and you may be asking the ram doctor for some new sticks.

so, in conclusion, it doesn't matter what you have in the box, it goes simply by FSB speeds.

and, generally speaking, if you ram will run the higher fsb it is performing the same as more expensive ram, kinda like an overclock on a cpu. getting better ram and running it at the same speed as the OC'd ram will not make any difference in overall performance, but it will give you the option to really crank her up even more if you unlock your cpu or run an MP processor.

whatever. this is very easy stuff.

9x206 here, with newest beta bios on the 8k3a+, it shows as PC3200 at boot.

baldy:cool:

ronin1967

JCK1 is one of two jumpers on the EPoX motherboard you have.

JCK1 is located above and to the left of your AGP slot, by default the jumper is set on 1-2(100MHz) you want to move it to 2-3(133MHz). The other jumper is JBAT(a very good one to know). It is located between the IDE and RAID connectors. It resets the CMOS(BIOS). It is normally on 1-2, but when you do go overboard and mess things up you will want to turn off all the power(even unplug), then move it to 2-3, wait a minute, then move it back 1-2, and power up, it resets the BIOS to default settings.

I have heard rumors that at 200MHz FSB a new mutilpier kicks in and the AGP/PCI run at default, even thought they show 40/80 in the BIOS. I have never had the chance to run that high, and have never seen any hard evidence to prove it, although I hope it's true.

***GINGO***

Here is how to remove the splash screen on startup:

1. Enter the BIOS(Del)
2. Select "Advanced Bios Features"
3. Scroll down to the bottom of the list
4. change "Full Screen LOGO Show" from [Enable] to [Disable]
5. F10(save & exit)

Last edited:

Tipycol

ronin1967 said:
JCK1 is one of two jumpers on the EPoX motherboard you have.

JCK1 is located above and to the left of your AGP slot, by default the jumper is set on 1-2(100MHz) you want to move it to 2-3(133MHz). The other jumper is JBAT(a very good one to know). It is located between the IDE and RAID connectors. It resets the CMOS(BIOS). It is normally on 1-2, but when you do go overboard and mess things up you will want to turn off all the power(even unplug), then move it to 2-3, wait a minute, then move it back 1-2, and power up, it resets the BIOS to default settings.

I have heard rumors that at 200MHz FSB a new mutilpier kicks in and the AGP/PCI run at default, even thought they show 40/80 in the BIOS. I have never had the chance to run that high, and have never seen any hard evidence to prove it, although I hope it's true.

K thanks
I don't have an Epox motherboard, so I was wondering what the heck JCK1 was :D

Tipycol

smudged

I have heard rumors that at 200MHz FSB a new mutilpier kicks in and the AGP/PCI run at default, even thought they show 40/80 in the BIOS

well I cant speak for the 8K5a but this does not seem to happen on the 8K3A+ which I have. I cant even boot @200 FSB no mater what multi I use. I think it has been said many times that there is a 1/6 divider but it is not supported on the via kt333 chipsets.

ronin1967

I have heard rumors of the 1/6 divider, but I know from personal experience that when I set 200 as my FSB the PCI/AGP say 40/80, I have also heard that even though the BIOS says they are 40/80, they really aren't(something for a Beta BIOS to fix?)

I have an unlocked 1.333 Thunderbird I suppose I could try her at 200FSB with a multiplier of 6-7, but I have no idea how tell what the PCI and AGP frequency would be...any thoughts?

smudged

there is a thread about this whole issue in the epox forum area. I think we can safely say you cannot get the 1/6 divisor on the kt333 or kt400 chipset and that no beta or official BIOS is going to change that.

Guess we can still hope though.

OP
gingo

gingo

ronin1967 said:

***GINGO***

Here is how to remove the splash screen on startup:

1. Enter the BIOS(Del)
2. Select "Advanced Bios Features"
3. Scroll down to the bottom of the list
4. change "Full Screen LOGO Show" from [Enable] to [Disable]
5. F10(save & exit)

Yeah, i figured that out after searching through a bios a bit.

ronin1967

now what you have to figure out is how to add your own splash screen in...

don't ask me, I have no idea, probably have to program one into the EPROM, of course there is a good chance there are several already hidden on it...

Tipycol

ronin1967 said:
now what you have to figure out is how to add your own splash screen in...

don't ask me, I have no idea, probably have to program one into the EPROM, of course there is a good chance there are several already hidden on it...

When exactly does the splash screen come up on that Epox board? And I guess you can time it too right? Otherwise your customized screen might be only viewed for a second then disappears ;)

ronin1967

with the newer Motherboards there is a splash screen at startup, it shows a car(sort of looks like a porche)and the logo and the board model #, if you disable it then you see the reguar post scheme...