• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Epox 8dra+ This Is The Board To Own

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EluSiOn

my biggest problem of this new nforce2 board is that...

It has no AGP/PCI Lock and also it doesn't support AGP 4x

Serraph

Actually it does have an AGP lock and support 4x AGP. We're not sure what it actually has for PCI bus. It hasn't been confirmed yet if it's locked, divider, or something new. 8x AGP is backware compatible with 4x...would be kinda stupid of Nvidia to have a motherboard that doesn't support 90% of the video cards that people have eh?

EluSiOn

It is been confirm that Epox nForce2 mobo DOES not have PCI lock while ASUS one has....

check this thread, about pci lock and divisor. http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11033

Do not assume AGP 3.0 is backward compatible. AGP 3.0 and AGP 2.0 operates at different voltage

This article talks about AGP 3.0 compatibility. and it is the mobo manufacture to decide to be compitable with what AGP speed either x1 , x2 or x4. If check all those Nforce2 mobo link and you will see most of the mobo maker only support 1x, 8x (1.5v)

AGP 3.0 is the third generation of accelerated graphics for the Intel-compatible computers and will be officially introduced on 11/12/02. In contrast to AGP 2.0 the AGP 3.0 specification isn't just a derivation of an existing standard. AGP 3.0 is incompatible to AGP 2.0 ¡V in theory. However, compatibility can be forced by implementing the "Universal AGP 3.0 Motherboard" standard

Asus - A7N8X: 1x, 8x apg
Epox - EP-8RDA+: 1x, 8x apg
Leadtek - Winfast K7NCR18D: 1x, 8x apg
Abit - NF7-S 4x, 8x agp
Tom's Hardware Reviews on NForce2

Serraph

Did some researching and it does support 4x and 8x. If you look on page 1-4 of the 8rda+ manual it specificly says "The AGP interface can support external AGP slot (1.5 V only) with AGP 8X/4X" and also on page 2-3 it says "One AGP slots supporting 1.5 V x4/x8-AGP cards - AGP 3.0 compliant"

EluSiOn

Cool!, Thanks Serraph, now I only want to know about the PCI divisor and also the PCI LOCK. Damn I love Epox, I hate to switch to Asus or ABIT!

CharlesHF

Yodums said:
Too bad he didn't show some benchmarks other than pictures of his rig and desktop pictures.
Is it just me, or is he just describing it how he wants to describe it? When someone asks a question that he doesn't want to answer, he just.....doesn't answer it, thus leaving us in the dark.
Oh well. If I don't see a few good reviews of it in a while, I might buy the Asus instead. (then again, the 8RDA+ looks SWEET. :D )

Last edited:

Tipycol

CharlesHF said:

Is it just me, or is he just describing it how he wants to describe it? When someone asks a question that he doesn't want to answer, just.....doesn't answer it, thus leaving us in the dark.
Oh well. If I don't see a few good reviews of it in a while, I might buy the Asus instead. (then again, the 8RDA+ looks SWEET. :D )

Yeah, but it's taking so long. I could've upgraded in the summer, but decided to hold out on the nForce 2's. With the Asus being expensive and no room around the socket, it's just so tempting to get a KT333 board :(

sminker

Tipycol said:

Yeah, but it's taking so long. I could've upgraded in the summer, but decided to hold out on the nForce 2's. With the Asus being expensive and no room around the socket, it's just so tempting to get a KT333 board :(

No way. Its worth the few more week wait to see what NF2 has in store for us. The thing i like the most about these boards is that its NOT VIA.

I own 2 VIA Abit boards, one AMD and one SIS. Its time for a change and no more crackling with sound cards and actually support from the chipmaker

OP
DodgeViper

DodgeViper

You have to remember Epox Tech and Holst both have to walk that thin line. They both work for Epox. I am sure they both have their hands tied and can't answer every question.

CharlesHF

DodgeViper said:
You have to remember Epox Tech and Holst both have to walk that thin line. They both work for Epox. I am sure they both have their hands tied and can't answer every question.

Yes, that is a good point. :)

Cúchulainn

DodgeViper said:

Yes, the clearly can't give any answers that would deflate the hype or dash expectations, e.g. pci info. If they had it I'm sure they'd be more than willing to share it as it seems pretty clear that every post they make is intended to increase the hype. The ol' "you want the inside scoop" trick :wink wink:

OP
DodgeViper

DodgeViper

Cúchulainn said:

Yes, the clearly can't give any answers that would deflate the hype or dash expectations, e.g. pci info. If they had it I'm sure they'd be more than willing to share it as it seems pretty clear that every post they make is intended to increase the hype. The ol' "you want the inside scoop" trick :wink wink:

Well I can say I have been a member of AOA for some time. Both have always shot from the hip. Have always been up front and honest to questions I have ever asked. I would say that forum is lucky to be able to call on a tech that works for EPOX. What other forum has the opportunity to be able to talk one on one if you have a problem with a MOBO.

Not to mention one of those guys is a member of this forum as well.