• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Epox 8K3A+ or Gigabyte 7VRXP or Soltek SL-75DRV5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

typer

Registered
Thinking about buying a new motherboard and have narrowed it down to one of these 3 boards (Epox 8K3A+, Gigabyte 7VRXP, Soltek SL-75DRV5). But I seem to be leaning towards the Epox 8k3A+. Which one of these 3 should I get, or should I just wait til the new KT-400 boards come out? Thanks for your opinions :D

LCazan

Well, it looks like i asked about the same motherboards as you did. And nobody is replying to either of us. :(

I don't know... i read something last night that said the Soltek isn't as good for overclocking. Also, if you go to the FAQs on the soltek site, it mentions the SL-75DRV2 and the SL-75DRV and says they can't support heatsinks larger than 70mm, so I figured the whole SL-75 family might have that problem. That's my main reason for not choosing this board. So i would go with one of the others. The Gigabyte seems to offer more features than the Epox... but that's my problem too. I don't know which.

Silver

Senior Citizen (aka old fart)
LCazan said:
Well, it looks like i asked about the same motherboards as you did. And nobody is replying to either of us. :(

I don't know... i read something last night that said the Soltek isn't as good for overclocking. Also, if you go to the FAQs on the soltek site, it mentions the SL-75DRV2 and the SL-75DRV and says they can't support heatsinks larger than 70mm, so I figured the whole SL-75 family might have that problem. That's my main reason for not choosing this board. So i would go with one of the others. The Gigabyte seems to offer more features than the Epox... but that's my problem too. I don't know which.

Welcome to the Forums....hmmm...I ordered a 8K3A last week. Kind of answer your question? I must say that I like the 2.2v on the core, the 3.2v to ddr, the 1/5 pci divisor, the 1/2.5 AGP divisor and the possibility for the board to have usb 2.0 and agp 8x in future revisions. Numerous reviews show this board more than capable of running 180 at fastest settings on the fsb as well as handily breaking 200 fsb at somewhat slower settings. Many of the top oc'ers are looking at this board as a possible replacement to the KR7A and let me tell you it takes a fair amount to get those Abit boys to let their boards out of their sight.

LCazan

Silver said:

Welcome to the Forums....hmmm...I ordered a 8K3A last week. Kind of answer your question? I must say that I like the 2.2v on the core, the 3.2v to ddr, the 1/5 pci divisor, the 1/2.5 AGP divisor and the possibility for the board to have usb 2.0 and agp 8x in future revisions. Numerous reviews show this board more than capable of running 180 at fastest settings on the fsb as well as handily breaking 200 fsb at somewhat slower settings. Many of the top oc'ers are looking at this board as a possible replacement to the KR7A and let me tell you it takes a fair amount to get those Abit boys to let their boards out of their sight.

Thank you

Lou Natic

You said the Epox mobo could support 8x AGP in a future revision, did you mean BIOS revision update or a hardware update?

Silver

Senior Citizen (aka old fart)
Of that I am not certain. All articles have stated it as I have. I got mine in and working. The Kingmax stick arrived flakey. I could'nt get it to work correctly at pc1600. Checked everything before I figured out it was the new stick. Put in a stick of crucial 2100 and managed to get it up to 195 (390). I am presently using it at 3.0v on turbo settings at 181. All seems to be well. Tis fast, really fast. This xp1600 now feels like it should. Ram flaked on me at 395. I have not had a lot of time to play with it but testing shows it betters rd800.:D

Last edited:

darrin

Registered
I have the Soltek.

I don't know where you heard that Soltek's didn't overclock well. I think Tom's hardware said exactly the opposite (most stable of the bunch).

Anway, I really like the Soltek V5 myself.