• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Epox 8K5A2+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dazza05

Hi,
i am new to overclocking and need some advice. i run an amd xp 2000+ on the epox 8k5a2+ board and i have a volcano 7+ on the cpu, lian-li pc60 case with 4 case fans. although i know how to overclock with the fsb, vcore and memory voltage, i am not sure how to get a good overclock. i am not sure on when your suppose to put the vcore up. like u start putting the fsb up when are u suppose to start adding more voltage to cpu and memory?

all help appreciated

ronin1967

There are several ways to OC, some people ease the FSB adjusting Vcore and Vdimm as they go along, some set the Vcore and Vdimm to the highest 'safe setting' then go right to the FSB they are shooting for. Some use applications like SoftFSB or getFSB to raise FSB in a Windows environment, noting when the system locks then adjusting the BIOS FSB accordinly. With your new motherboard you should try and take advantage of the dividers at 166MHz. What memory are you running and what version of BIOS?

OP
D

dazza05

i have 256mb pc2700 ddr samsung chip in it and i havent updated the bios or anything i am just using the one that was on it when i built it a month ago... so should i put the fsb up until i get crashes and then have a look at vcore and vdimm?

ronin1967

You should easily be able to get to 166FSB and there the dividers kick in for AGP/PCI(AGP 2/5 PCI 1/5)bringing you back to default frequency(66/33) your memory would also run well at 166FSB, so you could easily alter the DRAMM settings in BIOS for something more aggressive. Try 166FSB at default settings(Vcore and Vdimm), enable WatchDog in BIOS, and see if it posts, don't forget to keep an eye on your temps...

What thermal paste did you use? How long have you had the machine up and running? What other PCI/AGP devices do you hav installed? What are your current temps?

OP
D

dazza05

i have a network card and GeForce 4 mx440 thats it nothing else to have as it has onboard lan (i have a crossover cable and cable modem), onboard sound so not much else to have there. my current temps are around 32 - 36*c (cpu) at the moment we have some warm weather case is around 28 - 30*c.
i already have the fsb at 137 at the moment.
what do u meen by dividers?? and that if i get to 166 fsb it would keep the agp/pc at 66/33? and what did u meen by choosing something more aggressive? whats the watch dog timer do?

OP
D

dazza05

ohh yes i just installed the volcano 7+ 2 days ago. the system has been used for around 1 1/2 months

OP
D

dazza05

bah! whats with me.. i keep forgetting stuff lol, i used the thermal paste that came with the volcano 7+