• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

erm... oh eck!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ninthebin

is it possible to wreck your harddisk by knocking the computer...?

I was shutting down, and I turned around to get off my chair and my leg banged against the case, it wasnt that hard - the case just lent over a bit and settled back down, but I did here a crunch noise, and it wasnt my leg :(

but I have ran scandisks and it says everything is fine, but since then xp has been acting strange (as in stranger than usual)...

things seem to take a while to do anything - and system from control panel seems to take a few times to actually start.

connnecting to the internet is resulting now in VERY low connections - and sometimes it doesnt even put a connection status in, it just hangs on the registration - but the modem lights show im connected and I can use the internet.

when I shut down it now takes about 5 minutes - and seems to just stop and do nothing at one stage :|

what the hell has happened?

Chris

hearing a crunch noise from the computer is a bit worrying but i think if any damage had of been done it wouldnt work at all or would b very much on its way. You might want to format though i think thats what i would do in that case, but u never know it could all b the start of things to come!

Diggrr

Underwater Senior Member
You could try running a program like Norton's disk doctor to see there's damage that scandisk won't report. I've always had good luck with it.
You could also look to see if a card or cable has loosened up with the knock-about, or if a loose hsf may have chipped the core of your processor some....seen that happen once.

Good luck bud.

TheFrag

maybe u just pushed in the side of the case and it made a funny noise. It is prolly just a coincidence(sp?)..............

OP
ninthebin

ninthebin

well it does seem to be connecting ok now...perhaps thats it - but the noise sounds so familiar to that nice clunking your hd makes just before it bsods you with "im broke buy a new one"