• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Estimates for price of an rx 480 8gb model used? Maybe new video card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Suppressor1137

I want to do some math here;

I have an XFX RX 480 8gb model that was listed as XXX OC on newegg; with a clock speed of 1288/2000

It can overclock to 1350/2150 and remain under 85C with a bit of extra voltage(+24)

I'm currently seeing prices on them used around 260-300 on ebay(Which is MORE than what I paid for it new @ $229, so as it stands TODAY I can make a profit off it by selling it).

Would it be worth selling it and buying a GTX 1070, or Vega 56?

Maybe wait a bit and sell when Volta comes around?

Just know you'll be lucky to clear $250 if that so your looking at putting in $150-200 out of pocket for a 1070 and even more for a Vega 56. A 1070 is a decent upgrade so depends on if you need some more GPU horsepower for what you play.

A couple points. Yes you are correct, you can sell your 480 for that price rather easily. I am not sure how much of a bump you are looking for but going from an RX480 to an RX Vega56 yields about a 50% bump which is about the same for the GTX1070. What exactly are you trying to achieve?

I'm looking into getting a VR setup, and my rx480 would be able to run it, but not super smooth or max settings.

I was initally looking at a second rx480, but that makes very little sense with the price hike that is present atm.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...3D3448&cm_re=4k_vr-_-9SIA1GK53D3448-_-Product

And this is what I would be getting as the headset, so even a 1070 might be a bit weak to drive that thing. I don't plan to do standing vr, so that bit doesn't concern me.

idk though, its kind of a weird time to get into vr.

VR and multi GPU's are not really good friends ;)

I've checked loads of review on this one, they don't come so good. Gaming experience will be meh at best, even with a 1080 ti. No current card has the horsepower to drive UHD VR.

Plus no motion detection, FOV more on the 80/90° than 110...

If youdon't want to go the Oculus/Vive way, wait a bit for the Microsoft HDM's. Should be out pretty soon.

Oculus and Vive gives both amazing experience, and I think we'll need to wait for Volta XX80 ti to drive decently 4K headsets.

Which should coincidently launch together late next year or early 2019!

I'm looking into getting a VR setup, and my rx480 would be able to run it, but not super smooth or max settings.

I was initally looking at a second rx480, but that makes very little sense with the price hike that is present atm.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...3D3448&cm_re=4k_vr-_-9SIA1GK53D3448-_-Product

And this is what I would be getting as the headset, so even a 1070 might be a bit weak to drive that thing. I don't plan to do standing vr, so that bit doesn't concern me.

idk though, its kind of a weird time to get into vr.

from your link in the req specs it says this "NVIDIA Graphics Card: Support GTX 960 / AMD R9 290 equivalent or above (Note: The computer with the Graphics Card of GTX 10 series cannot support the games of Direct Mode)"

IDK what that means but maybe amd is a better fit ?

from your link in the req specs it says this "NVIDIA Graphics Card: Support GTX 960 / AMD R9 290 equivalent or above (Note: The computer with the Graphics Card of GTX 10 series cannot support the games of Direct Mode)"

IDK what that means but maybe amd is a better fit ?

If not mistaken a way of getting VR to the headset was to use a "Direct Mode" display function. Though there was 2 other ways to display stuff on the headset as well if I'm remembering correctly. This was back when I had a dev kit setup for the Oculus Rift. Though that being said...

If doing VR, yes a R9 290 AMD card will power it... heck its what I was using when the initial dev kits came out and when I got the retail version of the headset just the other month. Though yes, not every game will be able to run with all settings maxed, you can get decent settings but do not expect to scale your resolution with a lower end card. VR does not play with dual cards at the moment, and not sure how much support they will get. Would be nice if 1 GPU handled 1 display and the other the other display.

Now upgrading to a larger GPU, really if you want VR get the best you can afford... do not skimp because you want the horse power to bump the screen res (super sampling) up. With my 1080Ti I can get a 1.5-2.0 increase in screen res which greatly helps with Text and Textures looking considerably better. And that is to hold the 90FPS on the headset. Trust me if it drops below 90 (to 45FPS) you will notice it, weather your standing or sitting you will feel the effects of it relatively quickly.

Back