• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ESXi, anyone use it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

joedymueller

I just installed VMware's ESXi on one of my machines, I was able to get it running just fine, but can't figure out how to get any vm machines on to it. All i can do is setup a blank instance that just tries to boot from a network...

I haven't done much reading about it yet, but was looking for some pointers form anyone who has used it.

SuperMiguel

Super User
you have to use a client on another machine.. thats the bad part of esxi you have to use a clicnt, that runs on another machine.

OP
joedymueller

joedymueller

yea i have the V sphere? or what ever its called installed and I am able to connect to the ESXi machine from it.. just can't figure out how to get any images or ISO's over to create a usable virtual machine

SuperMiguel

Super User
like i if you just go to the ip that you set in your esxi box, you will be able to download the client..

Last edited:

SuperMiguel

Super User
it should be named vmware infrastructure client.. so you logged in? looks like this:

vmware-esxi-client-connect.jpg

then you go to: virtual machines and on the left side it says create virtual machine

or in the new version of esxi you use the vsphere client looks like this:

vsphere01.JPG

Last edited:
OP
joedymueller

joedymueller

yea thats what i got. i was able to create a machine, but I dont see how to install anything on it. it says you can download premade vm's but none that i can see are what i need.

SuperMiguel

Super User
ohhhhh create a Datastore first !!!
select the "Configuration" tab and then click the "Create New Datastore" link to start the "Add Storage" wizard
then go back to summary and you will see New "Virtual Machine"

OP
joedymueller

joedymueller

im at work right now. so i cant check it. I see a datasote there thats the full size of my HD. do i need to create another one from that? or is that what i use?

SuperMiguel

Super User
thats what you use.. but by default there is no datastore, you you need to create one, then go back to summary and you will see New "Virtual Machine"