• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Evaluate my airflow

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tyreal

Im gonna be upgrading my system soon so all my stuff will be out. I may as well mod my case too.

Please evaluate my current airflow. I don't know if its the best possible.

Case
Warning. this picture is BIG.

The two green squares in the middle of the case are two 120mm fans blowing in.
The two front fans are 80mm as intakes.
I have one exhaust fan.

Fans:
I have a Panaflo High speed 92mm on my si-97
Side panel fan blowing on cpu (top box in picture): Coolermaster Blue LED Fan
Sidepanel fan blowing on videocard (lower box in picture) is a thermaltake 120mm fan. I forget what the link is but its fairly loud and blows alot. i would estimate about 80 cfm
Two front fans: Sunon 80mm fan
Rear exhaust is a antec tricool at max speed

Thanks guys.

rseven

From the looks of it you have a lot of air coming in causing positive pressure. I prefer negative pressure with more air exhausting. However, with that volume of air blowing around I'm sure the cooling is decent. A blowhole exhaust would help even things out, but I'm not saying you need it.

OP
Tyreal

Tyreal

using speedfan
my load temps are in the high 40's and idle i get high 30's.
Remember thought that the abit temperature diodes to read off by a bit so this could be lower by maybe 5c

rseven

Tyreal said:
using speedfan
my load temps are in the high 40's and idle i get high 30's.
Remember thought that the abit temperature diodes to read off by a bit so this could be lower by maybe 5c
Yes, those temps are fine either way.

GQBalla

i have that exact case!
let me till you you shouldn't have to have 2 120 mm fans blowing in from the side....

i have 2 80 mm intakes stock exhaust and psu exhaust and my temps are pretty good im thinking look at my sig!

after i add my 92 mm fan my cpu temps should drop a far bit im thinking

rseven

You can't compare temps because every board reports them differently. A side intake fan over the CPU is always a good idea. Mine is only 80mm but is still quite helpful. At some point enough air is enough and adding more doesn't do anything.

OP
Tyreal

Tyreal

Trust me. Those two 120mm lowered my temps.

The duct diddn't work cuz my si-97 doesn't fit properly with the duct. So on went a 120mm. I just modded the duct and the temps are about the same with both.

The 120mm on the videocard lowered my 6600Gts temps by a bit and so did my cpu.

gvblake22

Yeah, I would agree with rseven; a top blowhole as exhaust would probably help balance out the airflow. Other than that, it looks like you have a pretty nice setup!

-Thrilla-

More intake is always better than more exhaust. Air will find its way to escape the case. I use equal amount of intake and exhaust, but all intakes are 120mm and exhausts are 92mm.

rseven

-Thrilla- said:
More intake is always better than more exhaust. Air will find its way to escape the case. I use equal amount of intake and exhaust, but all intakes are 120mm and exhausts are 92mm.
The opposite is also true as the air has to go somewhere. However, logically getting hot air out is more of a priority than getting cool air in. According to AMD intake fans are not needed and can do more harm than good. I do not agree with that, but I do think it supports the idea of exhaust being more important. I'll bet a beer I'm right! ;) :beer:

OP
Tyreal

Tyreal

OH YEA! Pass me one too! Make that a bawls instead, im underage :(

What do oyu think will yield better results.
Negative or positive? Should i flip the two sidepanels fans around and the rear one around so its very negative?

rseven

I'm not suggesting you switch anything. If you flip one you actually make it worse as it will come in one and out the other without much cooling accomplished.

OP
Tyreal

Tyreal

yea. i realize that. but if both the rear and the sidpanels go exhaust, then would the cooling be better? im just thinking about that. because if i switch those ones, it will be negative by quite a bit.

rseven

Tyreal said:
yea. i realize that. but if both the rear and the sidpanels go exhaust, then would the cooling be better? im just thinking about that. because if i switch those ones, it will be negative by quite a bit.
That cool air blowing down on the heatsink is really quite valuable. I think you are better off the way you are, but you can always test it out for the fun of it.

OP
Tyreal

Tyreal

yea. for sure. maybe when i get a caffeine high or seomthing. Just not right now, its doing good and completely stable and im way too lazy.. :(

lol.

Thanks alot guys.