• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Evaporative cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ratbag19

Registered
After much searching I have come to the conclusion that evaporative cooling is not very popular. It should be though, considering it is cheap, efficient, and really beats the heat! Anybody got any questions/suggestions?

Last edited:

kent_b29

You'll have to clue me in on this one... What is evaporative cooling? How does it work? What parts do you need to set it up? How is it better than other types of cooling? I've never heard of it before. I'd like to learn more about it.

thanks,
Kent

Huckleberry

There are quite a few folks on these forums who are using evaporative setups. Most seem to choose the "bong," recirculating the water directly into their wc setup.

Unlike most house evaporative cooler, most that I've read here in the forums also don't have an automatic way of refilling their supply of water; they simply top off the supply periodically.

I am curious about those who may have tried the standard "swamp cooler" pads that are found on home units. Anybody out there who has?

Last edited:
OP
R

ratbag19

Registered
Evaporative cooling is actually quite simple. You are basically cooling the water by evaporating some of it (no way! :) Hudreds of different ways exist, but the simplest is just to run it over some sort of sponge/mesh and blow fans on it, then catch the runoff. Simple tests show that it is quite effective alone or as a supplement.

Paxmax

I like the idea with evaporative cooling. It's so effective you can reach SUB ambient temp.
The few drawbacks that stopped me is that you get alge and maybe even fungus in the water. That could potentially clog up the system. Ok, so you add a little "anti-alge" growth substance.. Ok, that evaporates with the water and you breath it, how healthy is that??
Second thing that stopped me, less portable. I go LAN gaming quite often. And all fuss with filling/empty OR being half to death scared of the rig to tip over in the backseat while going there is too much for me.

But the method is superb, hey, a hundred nuclear plants cant be that wrong! ;)

/Paxmax

hooziewhatsit

I use a bong cooler on my machine, with good results. One of the main reasons I have it is because the waterfall sounds cover up most of the background dorm noise during the night.

For the refilling part, there are a couple different methods. One involves just using a huge reservoir that you can access easily.

The other, that I use since my res is in a case and hard to get to, is outlined here.

The only annoying thing is that you need to refill it every so often. Right now I'm in the process of adding a radiator in parallel to the bong that I can switch to if I need to go on long trips.