• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVE-online - Beginner tips?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

diaz

I've played it before, I remember having all kinds of questions at first..

What race should I start with? What things should i prioritise? I want a fighting profession over a mining one. Are there any pro tips out there to get things going on the right foot?

I want to have the biggest baddest ship eventually, but obviously I need to start with the little atrocity..

Thanks !

-D

OP
diaz

diaz

How do you end up with tons of money? When I did the missions, I was always tight with money. It took a long time to afford a new ship, and I had to get insurance because I simply couldnt afford not to...

-D

lordkosc

i started off mining and doing missions with a bantam and a merlin ship, it took probably over a month till i had decent money and a good rating with a few agents. I like the Caldari , as their ships look the coolest imho, I love the blue/gray steel :D

currently flying a Drake Missile Boat:D

deed

i started off mining and doing missions with a bantam and a merlin ship, it took probably over a month till i had decent money and a good rating with a few agents. I like the Caldari , as their ships look the coolest imho, I love the blue/gray steel :D

Yeah I played and loved the caldari ships * was never them though for long *

Read up on each class ingame as they tell you what they are best at probaly better then we can at the top of our heads. I made money transporting mining ships that could carry 5x more then normal ships getting maybe 20% of profit per run and later on the missions offer more money. The best thing right now is just to find a nice guild or clan.

I started as a hybrid doing basic mining inorder to raise money when theres no one around and fighting when the friends needed it. I stopped playing 1 year ago so im not sure how everything fully works now.

lordkosc

a new patch in December is supposed to make the planets and moons look pretty.

TheGreySpectre

Get Evemon
You can use it to easily set plans for what skills you need to pilot what. It also has user reccomended layouts for each ship so you can pull up a well rated layout plop it into the skill planner and it will tell you a decent order for your skills, as well as telling you what learning skills you could train to reduce the over all time for your plan.

Find a good corporation or get some good friends to play with you. When you start to get to the higher level missions they can be difficult to solo.

Don't go into low security areas

Those are the best tips I can offer, I had a rather different starting experience as I had a friend bankroll me for a couple hundred million to put me in a battle ship as quick as possible.

zangler

I have the best tip.

Don't play it.

One way or another, you will just end up being frustrated.

there is a high chance of that true...but if you make it through the starting missions and learn the game you will love it...msg Thrass in game and i can get you some ISK to start if money is tight.

Adragontattoo

Trailer Chasing Senior
Everyone will give you a few different tips but most will agree learning first. The learning skills DRASTICALLY reduce training times.

Dont fly what you cant afford to lose

Always insure your ship unless it is faction and then it is your call as the insurance doesnt cover most of it TBH.

cans in space are not free loot unless you put them there.

Jetcan mining only works if you have friends or are ok with losing ore.

Corp wars happen, fight or flee it is your choice.

Find a corp that is in line with what you want to play. A mining corp will not help you rat, a PVP corp will not help you run missions and a PVE corp will not PVP (exceptions to every rule).