• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Even if budget isn't a concern, is a mechanical keyboard really worth the money?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vishera

I see the mechanical keyboard being touted as a must get component for any $500 plus build. I just don't get the hype.

JLK03F150

What have I done! Member
I've been hunting & pecking on PC keyboards since the mid 80's, so a super nice keyboard is not important to me.
My wife types a lot daily, so a nice keyboard is important to her. She had her last work notebook replaced because she type the letters off the keys. Literally. lol

Suppressor1137

Do you have one? or have used one in the past?

There are three major advantages of Mechanical keyboards:

The keyboard lasts a LOT longer than standard rubber dome keyboards, and if you have just one broken switch, you can swap em out, so that extends the life further.

Mechanical Keyboards*or at least modern ones* aren't usually susceptible to key ghosting - This means every keystroke is registered, important for gaming in various scenarios. This is less of an issue with modern keyboards that address this issue.

And finally, less strain on your fingers. This is especially true for Cherry MX Reds and Logitech Romer-G switches. It takes far less force to get the key to register, and you don't have to bottom out the key for it to register either. If you are a casual user, the effect is less noticable, but if you were to type an essay on a laptop keyboard with superflat keys, you know what I'm talking about.

Finally, Mechanical Keyboards aren't for everyone. Some people find the clacking to be fairly annoying(My friends on Discord.) And that is with the Romer-G switches(Logitech G910), not even the Cherry MX-Blues that are super loud. But I Love Mechanical Keyboards, and will never EVER go back to rubber domes.

My reasoning? It just feels the best out of all the options I've tried over the years.

Is it a necessity? Not really. But You really should try one at your local best buy and determine for yourself if it is right for you.

Last edited:

Jeff G

I have a mechanical at home on my personal PC and a cheap membrane one at work. My hands ache after a day on the membrane one. If you've never used a mechanical one at length, you'll probably not notice how much force is required on a membrane one. But after using a mechanical one for a while, going back to a membrane one you feel like you have to slam each key down just to register. Personally, I would never go back from mechanical.

Soulcatcher668

My 2¢...... We interact with our machine through three things (mainly). Keyboard, mouse and monitor.

To me buying cheap peripherals is the same as putting bargain tires on a Porche. Will they work? Sure, but you are degrading the experience greatly.

YMMV, some people could care less about their tires. ;) In the end it is what feels adequate to you.

ATMINSIDE

Sim Racing Aficionado Co-Owner
Mechanical keyboards are the best thing I've done to a PC.

torin3

I'll never go back to a non-mechanical if I have a choice. Admittedly, I learned to type on an IBM Selectric. I prefer MX-blues as a result. But I got the office staff where I work mechanical keyboards for their computers and they will NOT give them up at this point.

wagex

Chapstick Eating Premium Member
i still havent invested in one, probably because im scared il end up liking it too much and spend too much money on too many of them for each pc lol.

Mandrake4565

Mr. Clean Senior Member
Mechanical keyboards are the best thing I've done to a PC.
Agreed...Other then getting a SSD. I didn't "get" the hype either until I purchased one. Once you type on one you will see what all the hype is about. The keystrokes are just so much more linear and precise. I now have a mechanical keyboard on every Pc I own because I can't stand using a membrane keyboard now.

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
I have recently started using a mech KB and honestly I'm one of those people that Supressor mentioned. The noise gets on my nerves.

Tír na nÓg

Sorry to ask, but is a mechanical keyboard just a KBD with big "keys"?

If so, a $20 logitech keyboard+mouse, wireless does the job...
Heck, I just got a 415 mouse (Rapoo), which is great (despite being a bit fragile...)

Mandrake4565

Mr. Clean Senior Member
I have recently started using a mech KB and honestly I'm one of those people that Supressor mentioned. The noise gets on my nerves.
Yeah but you completed a sentence without hitting the caps lock! :escape::chair:

I will say the noise doesn't bother me normally, it's only at night when everyone is asleep when I worry it may wake someone. I use cherry browns, just an FYI. I am also hamfisted when I type so ymmv.

ATMINSIDE

Sim Racing Aficionado Co-Owner

Put o-rings under the keycaps and use either MX Brown/Black/Red keys.

Mandrake4565

Mr. Clean Senior Member
Put o-rings under the keycaps and use either MX Brown/Black/Red keys.
I have on mine and it does quiet them down a bit, I notice my Cherry browns make most of their noise on the up stroke. Though I will reiterate I basically type by beating the keyboard. So I'm not a very good example! :D

OP
Vishera

Vishera

Good point about the SSD but I had an SSD. It improved my system's performance as a whole, I don't see the big deal about typing faster. I never experience straight up pain in my fingers or hands, just stiffness, I crack my knuckles after a few hours on the keyboard. But maybe the fact I do graphic art on an hourly wage has numbed me to the big deal about going slow :shrug: :rofl: I was just curious on some people's reasoning, I'll be sticking to membrane I think. Maybe if I'm bored and have the cash I'll buy mechanical someday. Until then I don't think I'm missing to much. :)

machausta

Mechanical keyboards are things you don't realize you like until you switch back to membrane. I still miss my first ibm ps/2 clicker keyboard.

Bluefalcon13

So, as someone who does a fair amount of typing throughout the year, I can really tell the difference between a mechanical keyboard and a non-mechanical.

I write code for school. I usually do this on my desktop with a mechanical keyboard. The experience is pleasurable overall. On the flip side, at my internship, I write code as well, but on an older G110 membrane keyboard. I can really tell the difference between typing on the two, and it actually effects both the speed at which I type, and the accuracy. Honestly, I am contemplating buying a mechanical keyboard (such as a cherry brown rosewell) out of pocket just to use/leave at my internship. My biggest concern is the noise generated, as a lowly intern shares an office [emoji14]

ITAngel

I tell you this Vishera, since I switch from regular keyboard to a mechanical logitech G710+ keyboard. I have had less errors typing, better gaming experience, and I feel it is way more responsive to me than normal keyboards. I even have a whole full set of caps for it incase the one I have breaks. XD