• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Even though MB say PC3200 you can run PC4000?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crispy

I had to ask. I've seen this alot and was wondering if it's safe to run PC4000 when the board says PC3200? Also do those overclock better or just a Faster Base RAM? Thanks

Reefa_Madness

DRAM Guru Senior
The highest official rating for DDR1 ram is DDR400 and most ram, with the exception of a few (most noteworthy TCCD chips rated as a DDR500 part by Samsung), are only rated at higher speeds when speed binned by the module makers. Because of that official rating the official rating for motherboards will also be PC3200 but provided your BIOS allows you to change settings you should have no issues running DDR500 in a mobo stipulating DDR400 speeds.

OP
C

Crispy

Cool. I think I understand..lol. Another question. Is it the higher the voltage rating of memory the better? More volts to Mem=More OC? Also would it be better to have 2 1GB sticks as opposed to 4 512K stick?I'm looking for RAM and I'm looking for a OCZ brand cause I hear they work good with DFI boards although I don't know which board I am geting yet. Either the nF4 LP Ultra-D or the SLI-D. I really can't decide. And as for RAM this is what I was looking at OCZ #1, But I noticed it has high timings, but it received good ratings and I figured timings would/could get lower. Or there's this one which I really not sure if I can do this, but it was one of the only one's with a higher voltage OCZ #2. Would it be worth the price difference? I know they're only 3200 but that's all I can afford for Good RAM (if that). Or how bout This one OCZ #3. That's 3500 so that would be better than other right? I'm a memory noob and trying to figure it out.

Last edited:

darksparkz

Different types of rams run better with higher or lower voltages. Higher voltages means higher temps on your ram, and higher chance of frying it. But then if you learn and read around, you usually wouldn't set your voltages too high.

Here's a REALLY popular 2x1GB set for OCing:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146578

Here's some sources to show how many people get what speeds with that:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=67762

The Crucial Ballistix is more or less the "best" 2GB set for OCing, runs great at only 2.9v or so.

The DFI Ultra-D can be modded to SLi if you want. But if your getting two GPU cards now and are planning to SLi asap, then the SLI-DR would be a great choice, both are great OCing boards.

There's a new DFI LP UT "Expert" Edition out. It's a SLi board thats supposed to OC better and more stable then previous DFi boards. Some places already has reviews on it showing for it to be the best OCing board out there now, outperforms many boards. But then, it's priced at $200.

OP
C

Crispy

Yeah I'm not sure if I can swing that. $250 for 2GB for me is pushing the limit. What's the best for 2GB for $250? I do plan on getting another SLI card in a few months hopefully, well sometime. I thought they both would work with 2 SLI cards? I thought when a board said SLI, that it's meant to work with 2 cards. Kinda sounds like it doesn't? I can use SLI without 2 cards right? What is up with the Ultra-D then? As in if I was going to SLI right away. You just mean because I would have to Bridge connections? And are there threads or links of easy, safe ways of getting rid of epoxy or whatever off of chip? I also Edited my post and added a 3500. That's the Most I could go on some RAM now. I want 2 GB right now and that's all I got. Thanks
What about this , it's 4000 and Gskill which I have seen some using. Don't know anything about, but have seen people using.

Last edited:

ochungry

Try this Gskill they are on sale and I hear people are getting good overclocking out of this kit.
If you can wait on Motherborad 2-3 weeks, there is a new ASUS board coming out w/ 67% overclocking, and supose to be inexpensive (calling it value board). DFI bows to this board. check this review by anandtech.

Reefa_Madness

DRAM Guru Senior
Caution about SLI. For starters, one of the good high end cards will usually perform better than two lower end cards. Secondly, for the cards to work together, they must be the same and there have been reports of guys buying a card, then several months buying the "same" card, only to find that the manufacturer has changed some specs or components and the cards will not work together. You are better off buying a single card now and then if you decide to go SLI, sell the current card and buy two identical cards at a later date.

The DFI Ultra D is not an SLI card, but like you mentioned, can be easily modded according to many articles and threads around the net.

With respect to memory...if you need two gigs, then the 2x1GB sticks are probably a better choice because most motherboards, including the non-Expert DFI mobos, will default to 2T timings with 4 sticks. The Expert, on the other hand, is designed to be capable of running 1T when using 4x512 modules. There is a big performance difference between running 1T vs 2T CPC (Command Per Clock).

Take your time and read through the various threads and reviews on these gig modules and then find one that fits your budget. Keep in mind that one of the beauties of the A64 is the fact that you can use the memory dividers without significant performance loss. What that means is that PC3200 will work for you, you don't have to go out and buy PC4000 if it is outside your budget.

Granted, running 1:1 is always going to give you better performance, but the question is whether or not that increased performance would be noticeable by you in regular day to day use (and worth the price increase), as opposed to in benchmarks where it will clearly be measured. You can, if you shop carefully and with out urgency, find good values on PC4000 so you might still be able to go that route. Just do your homework before purchasing and you'll be much happier in the long run.

OP
C

Crispy

Cool. Thanks for help guys. I have been reading reviews and doing research for a couple weeks now. I like to come here cause usually in reviews they are using different Mobo then I'm going to be using and a diff. CPU. In here I can find people that will be using the almost identical setup and find out what works with that. Thanks again on help. As for that ASUS board I'm not interested in getting Crossfire board as I plan on getting a 7800GT. I wish I could afford 2 cards now but I can't. And 1 GTX is waaay to much for me to spend right now. I heard the eVGA 7800GT is a really good overclockable card. I also like that DFI LANPARTY UT NF4 SLI-DR Expert. Man wish I had a few more bucks. Well thanks for the help all. Kids are fighting, gotta go Ref.