• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

everythnigs really BRIGHT...WHY?![pics]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BmanG17

Ok, i got a radeon 9600xt video card for x-mas, great card, plays anything i thorw at it amazingly well, i really wanted to stress test it, so tried a game i won't name...lets just say VERY demanding......and.... 'alpha'.... anyways, it ran very v ery good on my video card, unlike my friends ti4200 so i was happy. I quit and every thing on my desktop was super bright, i go into video card settings, hit COLOR tab, and it auto reset back to normal,just for precaution i also hit RESET and hit APply. few minutes later, went to CS and wham was all super bright again, quit CS and desktop was still super bright, went color tab and it reverted back to normal. I cant figure out what causes it but all 3d apps and games run SUPER bright its really annoying, here pictures of my desktop BEFORE a game..and AFTEr..please help, cant even see my crosshair in CS its so bright.

OK, i'm just lookin at the pictures, and it isnt showing the effect of the brightness of my desktop, so ill try photoshopnig one to give you the effect and to show whats happeneing to my coomputer after game playing.

Then this is after i reset my color settings to normal in driver settings [AKA my normal settings]

0.jpg

The picture below is what my desktop[and games look wihle playing] after i've finished playing a game

1.jpg

OP
B

BmanG17

i adjusted the monitor brightness, its also at defaults, i changed monitor brightness to 0 as a test, and it was STILL extremly bright...even with it at 0, so has to be video card settings, i reset brightness and gamma both to default settings [which is first pic, AKA normal] but as soon as i run a 3d app/game it goes super bright.....cant figure out why thou..

MetalStorm

I know exactly what you mean, I have had a similar problem with Quake3 and that alpha you mentioned, bascially if you end task Q3 while its still running it doesn't revert the gamma back to normal, so rather than fiddling with settings like that, I just run Q3 again and close it, and its fixed, simple as that, however, as you have messed around with settings its probably not as simple, and you might not even have Q3, though its a great game, so get it if you don't have it already.

I guess the same thing will happen if you run the alpha, and make sure it quits propperly, and the gamma should be set back to default.

It is NOT a problem with the monitor, or card as far as I know, its just ID, their engines just seem to do that... HL was based on the Q3 engine I think? heavily modified at that, even so, that is probably why you are encountering problems with the gamma when you play that as well...

As I said, as you have messed with the gamma controls, going in to quake or the alpha will probably not fix it, but you can try...

Komitet

half life is based on the half life engine, I would guess it's something in your game config that is sticking when you quit, do you or have you ever used powerstrip or a program like it?

I used to get this problem but it went away, I never did anything to get rid of it tho.

unreal

Registered
it actually might be the gamma set in the game to a higher gamma and when the program quits it keeps the higher setting and needs to be reset,,, might be a game kill error

Waddle

Registered
I would also get powerstrip as powerstrip has the ablility to add hotkeys to gamma correction.

Axis

Komitet said:
half life is based on the half life engine, I would guess it's something in your game config that is sticking when you quit, do you or have you ever used powerstrip or a program like it?

I agree with this guy. Kill all services spawned when you start up your "ahem" copy.

OP
B

BmanG17

i'm an idiot

restarted comp, and fixed color problem[the first thing i should have done i forgot about, LOL i'm dumb sometimes], but in CS now i randomly [ALOT at that] have fps drops from my 60 max[ i like vsync on] to 30 or less, restarted a second time, i think the fast write setting i changed had the effect on my FPS, so going to test again.

thanks for all the advice.

also Half life the original was based off the Quake 2 engine, valve jsut modified it to thier liking/specs and then created the game ...at least thats from what i've read anyways.