• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVGA GTX 1660 Black - Is it Truely Silent at Low Loads?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Barryng

I installed an EVGA GTX 750 Ti in my new build because I already had it unused in a closet. Except for the GTX 750 Ti, this machine is completely silent at low loads because none of the fans are running. Although the GTX 750 Ti fan is somewhat quiet, with an otherwise silent machine, it is very annoying. So, after all the expense and effort to build a silent machine, I am thinking about just replacing it with a EVGA GTX 1660 Black.

Does anyone have experience with the GTX GTX 1660 Black and is it completely silent at low loads?

It is not advertised with a zero speed fan but only as being whisper quiet and not audible. Is this true?

You'd have to look up some reviews and see how it compares to other cards and see. If you're lucky someone here has one and can share some realworld info.

You'd have to look up some reviews and see how it compares to other cards and see. If you're lucky someone here has one and can share some realworld info.

I'd second this.

FWIW, the cooler looks similar to the ACX cooler on the 1060 in my HTPC, and can confirm that it's silent at low/no loads.

From Techpowerup's review:

"Unfortunately the idle-fan-stop feature is not included. However, the fans are whisper quiet in idle, and you won't hear them even in a quiet case.

With 38 dBA, gaming fan noise is a little bit high. Other GTX 1660 Ti variants released today do much better here. This is quite surprising since EVGA's card uses a triple-slot design, while the other, quieter cards only use two slots. Temperatures are similar between these cards, too, so it must be the cooler design on EVGA's card that's just not as capable."

I had one I managed to fit in a Cooler Maser Elite 110 mini ITX case and don't remember any noise at idle. Even under load it wasn't loud to me. I had to modify the card Bracket to get it to fit, there was plenty of room for it, but just two slots in the case at the back. Just had to make a small cut and bend it up.

Last edited:
OK, I bought the EVGA GTX 1660 Black and crossed my fingers that it would be a lot quieter than the EVGA GTX 750. It appears my fingers were not sufficiently crossed because the 1660 is almost as noisy as the 750. The 1660 sound is a little smoother than the 750 but in a completely quiet room, as is my home office, and all other fans stopped, it still represents an annoying drone. The EVGA software does allow adjustment of fan speed down to 40% but has no provision to stop the fan. 40% also appears to be the default speed. My hearing is compromised due to constant tinnitus and almost zero response above 10K Hz but I can clearly hear the damn thing humming away. If I stop the fan with my finger the machine is 100% silent. The Corsair AIO water pump, running 100% of the time, is not at all audible to me.

Back