• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVGA GTX 660 SC 2GB Driver Issue Needs Help (Win 8.1)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bio_boarder

OK. First off, I hope I'm in the right area for this since it's my first post. Apologies if it's not.

I purchased an EVGA GTX 660 off of ebay (non working) and just received it this morning at 8am. I have spent 11 hours researching and trying different remedies in hopes of figure out whats wrong with this card. I have performed multiple repairs to dozens of cards in the past but this on has me stumped. It loads everything, it will boot into windows without safe mode and I can do anything as long as it is not graphically intense. I tried to install every driver from 344.48 to 350.12 (Latest). No go. When the graphics driver is installing the screen goes black and the computer restarts. It does this in 3 separate computers. I've Installed each driver in safe mode which puts my computer into an infinite boot loop where it restarts then the graphics driver is being loaded. This is where it gets weird for me... There are no stickers on the pcb board to help with identifying the card. However there are stickers on the heatsink casing. One of the stickers has the bios version of the card and by looking that version up it says it's the GTX 660 SC 2GB card (as i figured when I bought it). However in GPU-Z it says there is 3GB of ram on the card, not 2GB. Here is where it gets weirder... Using nvflash, I flashed the bios made for the 3GB card (bad idea), the card posted and went into windows but the screen was full of artifacts and lines and drivers still didn't load. I then (trying to see through the lines) flashed the original bios back to it which restored it back to the way I received it. I then tried to flash multiple newer versions of the bios but the drivers still wouldn't load/install. I then downloaded the only other bios I could find which had a slower core clock of 993 instead of 1046. After flashing that bios I noticed my PC running and loading much faster than with the other bios. Still no drivers will load/install. I've installed a GTX 570, GTX460, and a GTX 770. They all worked with the drivers. I checked power supply, hard drive, motherboard, cpu, ram, and dvd drive to make sure there was no conflicts. I've narrowed it down to the card but cant figure out whats causing it. I cant return it since I bought it for parts. I am hardware savvy -- kind of. I can solder and reflow so if its a chip, ic, capacitor, transister, or something along those lines i can replace it without a problem. I just need help narrowing this down.

Thank you ahead of time. I have attached two photos of the GPU-Z info. One is with the slower bios, the other is the original bios (The SC).

Here is my PC setup:

MB: Gigabyte AM3+ GA-78LMT-USB3
CPU: AMD FX-4300 3.8Ghz (Quad Core)
RAM: Various Brands of 8GB 1333Mhz (Timing & Speeds are the same)
PSU: Kentek 750w (with 2x 27a, 12v rails)
Sound: Creative Audigy2 ZS (PCI)
HHD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB
Optical: Lite-on DVD-RW DL w/ Lightscribe
GPU: EVGA GTX660 SC ?2GB? (GPU-Z says 3GB)
GTX660.gif
GTX660SC.gif

Back