• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVGA hybrid + universal VGA block. Can it be / has it been done?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bbies1973

I recently came upon a pair of EVGA 1080 cards with the hybrid cooler on them. It was a deal that I couldn't pass up (cheaper than air cooler version), and now I plan to integrate it into a custom loop. My original plan was to just dump the hybrid, and put a normal fitted block on them. Then I started thinking: Universal blocks are used with air cooling on the RAM/VRM/etc. often enough. Why not use the hybrid air cooling for that and just put a universal block, such like EK's VGA Supremacy block, in place of the AIO block/pump combo.

Has anyone tried (or seen it done) putting a universal VGA cooling block in place of the AIO block on one of these? I ask, because I seem to remember seeing a review video on these things a while back that said the normal (Asetek?) AIO combo wouldn't fit, and EVGA had to source a modified version to sit in the opening of EVGA's HS design?

I don't think anyone here can honestly answer this for you so I'm supplying you a link to a You Tube video of the graphics card being dismantled and what he finds under the hood which should help your own understanding of what is and is not possible.

there are actually several block options for that card configuration. there are two different versions of the evga 1080 hybrid. go to the ek website and use the configurator to find your gpu.

so you can either go with the full coverage block if you can find them or go with a universal block.

there are actually several block options for that card configuration. there are two different versions of the evga 1080 hybrid. go to the ek website and use the configurator to find your gpu.

so you can either go with the full coverage block if you can find them or go with a universal block.
I did look at the configurator, and they list 2 versions of universal blocks that fit. I just wasn't sure if they included using the air cooled half of the hybrid HSF, or if they only considered fitting it to the PCB without any of the OEM cooling.

I have also looked at a ton of disassembly/mod videos. Both in search of this having been done, as well as trying to find what I remember of the EVGA aio piece being different for this purpose. EVGA appears to make two different versions of the hybrid system. There is one that does not have the copper plate for the RAM like what is shown in the video Silver Surfer linked. Instead the RAM cooling is integrated into the larger aluminum plate of the HSF. I removed one of the shrouds, and the cards I picked up do not appear to have the added copper plate.

If I can't find for sure that a universal block fits, I will just go with a full coverage block.

Last edited:
good good. so you know what your options are. i try to go full coverage if at all possible. they look sweet, the cooling is second to none, running dual gpus is easy as pie and it eliminates all of the hassle a universal block introduces! you definitely have room for a universal block. with the thermosphere you have the ability to easily connect your blocks for sli but then you have to find heatsinks for the memory. with the stock mosfet cooler youve got half of the card covered but then you have to decide on the type of heatsink and the adhesion youll use as well. also does the memory on the 1080 need active cooling? then you have to decide on permanent epoxy or thermal tape. i actually found some tape that looks good but ymmv. they also make gpu heatsinks, either copper or painted aluminum(im assuming its al). just be sure to get the right size sinks.
https://www.performance-pcs.com/the...-double-sided-adhesive-pad-100x100x0-5mm.html
https://www.performance-pcs.com/acc...m-copper-heatsinks-10x10mm-10pcs.html#Details

Back