• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVGA RTX 3080 fan problem? AIO install.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dfonda

Senior Golfer
So on my new Z690 build I put my old RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra in. I had to horse around alot to get it in to the new PCIe slot. The system had a fan I noticed the last couple of days that would spin up and spin down every 4 or 5 seconds. So it took me a while to pin the fan that was doing it down.

I noticed the middle fan on the GPU was the one. I uninstalled precision to make sure it wasn't a software glitch. Precision has RPM for the top and bottom but the RPM for the middle is zero. It was showing RPM but it is stopped now...(All showing the % I have them set at 40, 70, 100).

So two questions....

1) Can I replace that fan myself as I do not want to send it in for warranty. Also how hard is it to pull one and check to see its not a loose wire?

2) The AIO I have for it isn't going to solve the problem as the fans will still be on. That only looks like a 1/2 hour job to install and a 1/2 hour to mount the rad to the front.

Any suggestions?

1. You can... just make sure to get the same model fan for ease of RPM, etc.
1a. Depends.... if you can unscrew the fan from the top, it's easy. If you have to take the heatsink off and/or can't reach the fan header... PITA.
2. I don't see a question in #2.

How will the fans still be on when using an AIO? Doesn't that replace the heatsink and fans? You don't put the stock cooler and fans back on, do you?

1. You can... just make sure to get the same model fan for ease of RPM, etc.
1a. Depends.... if you can unscrew the fan from the top, it's easy. If you have to take the heatsink off and/or can't reach the fan header... PITA.
2. I don't see a question in #2.

How will the fans still be on when using an AIO? Doesn't that replace the heatsink and fans? You don't put the stock cooler and fans back on, do you?
You don't, it's a different mounted piece all together (I have both the Hybrid and regular FTW3)

You don't, it's a different mounted piece all together (I have both the Hybrid and regular FTW3)
So you are saying the AIO will replace the fans? If so that solves the problem.:thup: That is what I thought at first until I watched part of a youtube vid that said you will still use the fans...I was in a rush to go out the door so maybe he was referring to something about the radiator.

I am good to go than. I'll have the fans off and can put them back in if the GPU needs warranty. (EVGA states to put them back on and keep the AIO if warranty is needed.) They can cover the bad fan at that point.

Thanks for clearing that up guys. I would have seen this if I had just pulled the thing off and put the AIO on instead of asking questions first.:screwy:

Yeah this was above my paygrade...

For now I took off the fans and am using the Lian Li's front fans to blow air into the case and across the rad. Any suggestions for where to plug in the pump fan?

The directions had nice colored pics but lacked clarity, have a few parts left over and the tube installs were of the 3090 and were clearly different. I'll post some pics so folks can point out any mistakes. In the second pic it did not say to use the cpu bracket again and I can't figure out its purpose so I left it off. If anyone knows that it should be put back and what it does , let me know and I'll put it on. Maybe the directions just forgot it?

The 3090 has thermal pads around it and underneath but the 3080 does not, and the kit did not have any. The outer plate has standoffs under the screws to keep it from touching...At first I did not notice them and thought the plate would short it out...I can clearly see space under that plate.

PXL_20211130_143036706.jpg PXL_20211130_160926816.jpg PXL_20211130_161538659.jpg PXL_20211130_163911359.jpg

PXL_20211130_181957493.jpg PXL_20211130_182004208.jpg PXL_20211130_182115941.jpg PXL_20211130_183028589.jpg

Installed and the pump plug. I guess the second one is the single fan plug...Googling now to prefer where they want it plugged in.

PXL_20211130_195032263.NIGHT.jpg PXL_20211130_195521804.jpg

Isn't one for pwm and the other DC? The manual should explain it. :)

No the manual has nothing in regards to plugging anything in....I tried it out...It turns out the GPU powers the fans. The fan on the GPU and the pump itself must draw power from the 3 8 pins. So I can leave the fan plug unplugged and the GPU pump and fan work fine. I chose to plug in the fans and did a push pull. Or one could choose to have the fans powered of the MOBO but this seems better as they are controlled by the GPU and Precision. (I think:-/)
Any way 2 fans show up. I guess the pump is running a 100%:shrug: I need further study(Google) to find that out.

It needed it. The case fans were not enough to cool the rad (they are not designed for that job). Once I added the rad fans on I dropped to 40C with fah running. At least 15C lower than before. Also silent compared to the original 3 fans. The PC is nice and quiet now as the GPU were by far the loudest fans even at 50%. (I ran 70% now but 100% in summer) Must of put it together correctly as that Rad gets quite hot. It came out OK but sheesh it took me at least 8 hours. :eek:

I also thought it Precision would update the Bios to a Hybrid but it didn't.

Before and after. 2 slot now instead of 3. Whenever I get another 3080 it will have better airflow.

PXL_20211130_143036706.jpg

PXL_20211130_235244654.jpg

I also thought it Precision would update the Bios to a Hybrid but it didn't.
I mean, a 10 second Civic is still a Civic, ya know? :p

But seriously, Precision doesn't do that. It's a monitoring/tweaking tool. Nothing automatically updates your BIOS (and rightfully so - though it may look and inform you of something new? Not sure. I rarely touch BIOS on GPU)...especially when just changing a heatsink. There's nothing on the board that would tell it otherwise. I'm not sure if there are any differences in clock speeds and the changes are typically negligible anyway. If you're feeling saucy, manually flash the BIOS..........but I wouldn't as I believe you'll bork the warranty (if you can't flash it back to the original/doesn't have two BIOS').

Anyway, congrats... I love seeing the low temps and the quiet is awesome, indeed!!!

Soon enough you'll custom water cool it all... :p

I mean, a 10 second Civic is still a Civic, ya know? :p

But seriously, Precision doesn't do that. It's a monitoring/tweaking tool. Nothing automatically updates your BIOS (and rightfully so - though it may look and inform you of something new? Not sure. I rarely touch BIOS on GPU)...especially when just changing a heatsink. There's nothing on the board that would tell it otherwise. I'm not sure if there are any differences in clock speeds and the changes are typically negligible anyway. If you're feeling saucy, manually flash the BIOS..........but I wouldn't as I believe you'll bork the warranty (if you can't flash it back to the original/doesn't have two BIOS').

Anyway, congrats... I love seeing the low temps and the quiet is awesome, indeed!!!

Soon enough you'll custom water cool it all... :p

I should have said firmware update. a couple of times I updated Precision to the newest version and it recommended a firmware update...Unless I have completely lost my memory(Which is possible):screwy:

If I didn't change things every 6 to 8 months I would consider custom.:thup:

I don't have an EVGA card, so maybe it's only an option when using one of theirs? I'd imagine you can manually go get one, and perhaps a new one for your card, but I can't see it 'upgrading' your card to the hybrid like that...just doesn't make sense.

Must be EVGA specific ....In precision there is a box where you can update your BIOS(Firmware). If there is an exclamation next to it you can update. All my EVGA's updated thru Precision automatically. I need one now but an issue has to be resolved. :-/(CSM has to be disabled before flashing your vbios)

https://www.evga.com/support/faq/FAQdetails.aspx?faqid=59772

I watched a tube vid that showed an update after installing a Hybrid. I thought this was common to all modern GPUs but honestly I have not had anything but EVGA for at least 10 years.

did you install the hybrid vbios?
Right... it has to be a manual install. It doesn't have the ability to recognize an aio was strapped on. ;)

That said, are there increased clocks or functionality by doing so? If not... id leave it...my OCD would kick in, but yeah. :rofl:

Right... it has to be a manual install. It doesn't have the ability to recognize an aio was strapped on. ;)

That said, are there increased clocks or functionality by doing so? If not... id leave it...my OCD would kick in, but yeah. :rofl:

I believe it is to allow it to control the pump speed and respective fan speed(s) properly.

Back