• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVGA SR-2 and PSUs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Culbrelai

Well, im slowly gathering parts for my build... as mentioned in other topics...

The PSU that EVGA designed for it... http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6620925

obviously supports it fully, but I question the quality, based on a ton of reviews and how loud it is at load, and low quality wires... etc.

This is the PSU I wanted... High end Corsair, with GOLD and not SILVER ratings, almost zero bad reviews, respected company...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003PJ6QVU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I know the SR-2 requires two CPU connectors, and this PSU has them
2x EPS/ATX12V CPU Cable 610mm 24"

But I heard whisperings of something about PCI-E requirements?

Thanks in advance...

That Corsair unit will do you fine. Not sure whats up with the PCIe requirements you reference, but that PSU will do the trick. :)

Some boards do take supplemental power for the GPUs, which is optional depending on your setup, so that might be what you've heard something about.

I see. Yup, you are good to go with that PSU. :) Others have used it with the SR2 so you can find evidence of that around if you look as well, for extra reassurance if you like. :salute:

Yeah, I did google SR-2 with Corsair 1200AX afterwards but still, talking to someone who actually has built PCs before (and not just configured them and payed someone else to on the internet, like me, now I feel ashamed...And this way I get quality parts, not a PSU from companies ive never heard of like Xion and ram from Hynix...)

Hehe... anyway thanks a lot

That PSU will work fine. It's also far more PSU than you actually need, even if you OC.
At 250w/GTX680 (OC'd) and 140w/CPU (OC'd) you're looking at a load that a 900w unit could do with plenty of room to spare.
If you don't mind paying more and like the Corsair 1200w, it's certainly not a bad choice by any means.

Yeah, I plan to upgrade later, more GFX cards, Nvidia 700 series... all of that noise later.

PSUs tend to be the one thing that halts a lot of future proofing... unless they make a PCI x32 slot in the next five years... at least in my experience, PSUs are...

How much power do other PCI cards take? Like sound cards, network cards, TV tuner cards... I wouldn't suspect very much... but good to know an average...

Ya, I like that approach personally. That PSU will last you for your next several builds. $250/3 is in the range of an economical PSU you could buy now, but this one is higher quality and can take anything you throw at it. It wouldn't be unreasonable to think it could last you a decade, though that would be outside its warranty.

Discrete sound increases total power consumption by less than 20 watts, compared to onboard. 20 is generous, probably less than 15 even. It gets closer to 15 if you have a sound card that has an auxiliary power connector. You don't find that on pretty much any other PCIe card, so thats pretty much the high end on how much power draw you could potentially get from any other component like that.

Back