• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVGA X58 Stable @ 4.0Ghz, Trying to get 4.2 Ghz Stable

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fundip

any advice on getting this i7 930 from 4.0Ghz to 4.2Ghz with HT enabled? it seems like i am stuck as far as stability goes at the settings below. i would like to squeeze as many Mhz out of my air cooler as i possibly can. right now temps max out at 82C during intel burntest so i figure i have a little headroom to play with, i just don't know what settings would be best to focus on. hardware specs are in my sig.

MEMORY FEATURE:
Memory Frequency [1067 Mhz / 2:8]
Target Memory Frequency 1530Mhz
Channel Interleaving Setting [6 way]
Rank Interleaving Setting [4 way]
Memory Low Gap [Auto]

tCL Setting [6]
tRCD Setting [8]
tRP Setting [6]
tRAS Setting [20]
tRFC Setting [110]
Command Rate [2T]
tRRD Setting [5]
tFAW Setting [24]
tRTP Setting [6]
tWR Setting [12]
CH1 Round Trip Latency [48]
CH2 Round Trip Latency [49]
CH3 Round Trip Latency [49]
Back to Back CAS Delay [Auto], [0]
tddWrTRd Setting [7]
tdrWrTRd Setting [7]
tsrWrTRd Setting [16]
tddRdTWr Setting [9]
tdrRdTWr Setting [9]
tsrRdTWr Setting [9]
tdd RdTRd Setting [7]
tdrRdTRd Setting [6]
tsrRdTRd Setting [4]
tddWrTWr Setting [7]
tdrWrTWr Setting [7]
tsrWrTWr Setting [4]
tRL [+0]

VOLTAGE CONTROL:
EVGA VDroop Control [With VDroop]
CPU VCore [1.33125V]
CPU VTT Voltage [+200mV]
CPU PLL VCore [1.800V]
DIMM Voltage [1.600V]
DIMM DQ Vref [+0mV]
QPI PLL VCore [1.100V]
IOH VCore [1.150V]
IOH/ICH I/O Voltage [1.500V]
ICH VCore [1.100V]
PWM Frequency [933 Khz]

CPU FEATURE:
Intel Speedstep [Disabled]
Turbo Mode Function [Disabled]
CxE Function [Disabled]
Execute Disable Bit [Enabled]
Virtualization Technology [Disabled]

Intel HT Technology [Enabled]
Active Processor Cores [All]

QPI Control Settings [Enabled]
QPI Link Fast Mode [Enabled]
QPI Frequency Selection [4.800GT/s]

CPU Clock Ratio [21x]
CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) [191]
Target CPU Frequency 4018 Mhz (191x21)
Target Memory Frequency 1530 Mhz
MCH Strap [1600 Mhz]
CPU Uncore Frequency (Mhz) [3061 Mhz (16x)]
CPU Clock Skew [0ps]
Spread Spectrum [Disabled]
PCIE Frequency (Mhz) [100]
OC Recovery [Disabled]
Turbo Performance [Disabled]

i think I would try to bring the pcie freq up from the 100 it is set at currently, try to bump it to 105. I am not sure of what memory you have but those are pretty tight timings you are running, it could by any of those to cause stability issues, I would let the round trip latency be on auto. There is also the chance that your chip just wont do more than where it is at now.

i remember reading somewhere a while back that raising the pcie frequency too high will damage any hardware plugged in the slots.
ram is gskill pi 1600 6-8-6-20 operating at 1540Mhz.
i noticed that the CHx Roundtrip Latency comes up with slightly different values after each post if i set it to auto, what is that about?
would a better aircooler help, like a venomous x or a d14?

Trying to remember what it was but.....

Keeping PCI-E below 110 ideal and keeping it 105 or lower if running a RAID setup.

Have you tried the settings for 4.2GHz w/ HT enabled in this guide?...

EVGA X58 Overclocking Guide
http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=20028

those are some crazy high voltages he is recommending i might try it if i was water cooling but i am using the stock heatsinks and i want to be able to run it 24/7. right now i am 8 hours into p95 at 4.2Ghz HT off at 1.375VCore. max cpu temps 81C. with ioh vcore at 1.150v the north bridge idles around 60C and so do the vregs. vregs go up to 85C during load. is that too high?

i think that evga guide is more to just show off the overclocking capabilities of their motherboards. miahallen's guide over at techreaction is A LOT more thought out than that one.

Yeah most of those random bios templates for higher than 4GHz always seem to want to put 1.4+v to the core.

What else have you tried? With that air cooler, and at what your temps get to now, you may not want to go much over 1.35 on vcore. These chips like odd multipliers, but sometimes have trouble getting over 210bclk. Did you try to isolate your max bclck?

Setting all of the ram settings to Auto for now (write down all your timings) and letting it get much looser could help as well. You can always pin down the timings again later if they can hold up.

I would start using the guides, like in my sig, to find your max bclck and such and go at it a step at a time.

If you really wanted to just go full bore into trying to up the cores, try moving vcore to 1.35, VTT +225, QPI PLL vcore 1.2-1.3, then up the bclck to 195 to start.. or just 1 increment at a time..

Going above 4GHz is usually more time consuming than getting to 4.. you will likely need to do it in steps and find out when you fail.

As for your vreg temps.. if you have a small fan layin around (60-80mm) try to wire-tie it down in that area.. even running it at 5v should be enough to take the temps down a good 5+C

im a little fuzzy on the pll vcores. what are they exactly and when and how should i adjust them?

Scientifically: PLL stands for phase locked loop and it is the primary circuit in the processor that sets the overall clock and not necessarily the processor .. PLLs are used anywhere that a device is clocked against a reference where the resulting clock is higher than the reference clock.

Basically: The PLL voltage is essentially the voltage applied to the CPU's internal clock distribution system.

Too much can fry a chip faster than high vcore though.. so take my changes with a grain of salt. I've only upped my pll to like 1 notch above stock

Just like Miah's guides, the one in the EVGA forum is just that... a guide. Neither of the guides settings are set in stone, and both should be used only as references. But I can tell you from experience that if you want to hit 4.2GHz w/ your 930, you're going to have to raise voltages considerably, compared to what they're set to now for 4.0GHz.

I just re-updated my clock and settings. Though I don't have it fully tweaked yet and probably can drop voltages even more, I think im limiting higher OCs by not upping my PWM Freq to the top notch. Since voltage doesn't seem to do the trick on the CPU and other voltages im sure are far above what they need to be.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=665357

Just from past though going from 3.8Ghz fully stable to now my realitivly stable 4Ghz right now is a .075V increase in voltage on the CPU itself + going from 800Mhz to 933Mhz on the PWM Freq. Wouldn't doubt I might need 1.375 and 1066Mhz to get 4.2Ghz stable with HT.

Hey redduc900, have you tried OCing without HT and what its affects where with voltages and limits?

Last edited:
Back