• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Excavator core FX coming soon?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have to agree LGA is bad for the end user. Too fragile.

I certainly agree with that! I learned the hard way in the past year exactly how fragile the LGA socket is. I had been exclusively doing AMD builds for years until recently moving to Intel because of the significant performance advantage. But I quickly borked a couple of intel motherboards by bending socket contacts. One I was able to straighten out and get it working properly again but not the other one. Now, every time I install or remove an intel CPU I hold my breath. Those things can slip out of your fingers, fall into the socket catiwampus and destroy bunches of contacts real easy.

I certainly agree with that! I learned the hard way in the past year exactly how fragile the LGA socket is. I had been exclusively doing AMD builds for years until recently moving to Intel because of the significant performance advantage. But I quickly borked a couple of intel motherboards by bending socket contacts. One I was able to straighten out and get it working properly again but not the other one. Now, every time I install or remove an intel CPU I hold my breath. Those things can slip out of your fingers, fall into the socket catiwampus and destroy bunches of contacts real easy.

Lots of Intel boosters bash AMD for having cpu's with pins. I think AMD has the better solution to be honest. If you are careful removing the heatsink and not pulling the cpu out with it, putting the cpu in the slot etc.... chances are extremely slim you will damage anything. The Intel sockets are extremely fragile. You can be really careful and still ruin the socket.

I hope that they do release 1 more chip for the AM3+. The slides that AMD presented at the begging showed a 10%-15% performance increase with each new release. I'm not sure if the current released 83xx's have anything other that a few tweaks of the Vishera Core. If we look on the REALLY BRIGHT SIDE, we could be getting a CPU with 30% better performance over the Vishera Core and 45% increase over the Bulldozer.
I Guess we can hope and wish right?!?!

Lots of Intel boosters bash AMD for having cpu's with pins. I think AMD has the better solution to be honest. If you are careful removing the heatsink and not pulling the cpu out with it, putting the cpu in the slot etc.... chances are extremely slim you will damage anything. The Intel sockets are extremely fragile. You can be really careful and still ruin the socket.
I would bet my bottom dollar Intel does it this way, so if something goes wrong with and install, ie. bent pins, the board manufacturer has to deal with it, not them.

I would bet my bottom dollar Intel does it this way, so if something goes wrong with and install, ie. bent pins, the board manufacturer has to deal with it, not them.

Uh uh......it's cheaper to do pads on processors than pins. All about the profit man.

I Guess we can hope and wish right?!?!

The onus is now on the mobo manufacturer.

Uh uh......it's cheaper to do pads on processors than pins. All about the profit man.

At the expense of the end user of course.

Intel is always first replacing CPU to other new/tested and next is checking RMAed product. Anything with broken pins was their lose. Now it's motherboard's manufacturers problem. Intel is no longer manufacturing motherboards ( someone else was making them for Intel anyway ).

The main reason why Intel moved to pads, as they explained, was higher power delivery of pads. Now they could explain why we never see burned pins in AMD CPUs with 200W+ TDP and Intel CPUs after OC have sometimes burned pads/pins.

Back to AMD, every new AM3 chip had 0-10% higher performance so I don't expect that anything new will offer higher performance gain over last series. I actually have no idea why AMD released Vishera which is not bringing anything worth to buy newer CPUs. All who had earlier chips simply can't see any differences. The biggest performance improvement was when MS added patch to Win7.

On the Intel side pads cause arcing which will damage parts processors and other components on the motherboard. Down the road damaged electronics can and will eventually cause cancer and electrical burns. I am surprised Intel hasn't been sued over this. I tried to work with a idea that was similar to this before Intel used it in there cpus and the cons outweighed the positive of the design so I abandoned the concept of ever using it.

On the Intel side pads cause arcing which will damage parts processors and other components on the motherboard. Down the road damaged electronics can and will eventually cause cancer and electrical burns. I am surprised Intel hasn't been sued over this. I tried to work with a idea that was similar to this before Intel used it in there cpus and the cons outweighed the positive of the design so I abandoned the concept of ever using it.

Everything causes cancer. I doubt anyone could convince a jury Intel caused them to get cancer. I hate to call you out but if you were an engineer of some sort I think that spelling would not be an issue in the above post.

Pads in LGA cpus/sockets are working exactly like standard/pin socket. The only difference is that pins are on the CPU, not in the motherboard and there is better contact between pins and pads. The main problem is that LGA sockets are fragile and sometimes have bad contact with CPU pads ( not enough pressure or something ). There were also worse series sockets like problems with Foxconn sockets for some ( long ) time.
I doubt anyone can prove that one or other CPU manufacturer has safer products. Manufacture process is similar and you simply can't change that so easily. Also there are many more ARM based CPUs on the market than any Intels so I would say that PCs in global scale are still safer than cell phones/tablets ;)

Back