• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Excessive temps with mild AthlonXP 1600...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PhobMX

alright, i dunno what to blame right now, when i first built this setup my temps where 58ºC on the Asus2 sensor, now im getting 61º !!! WTF!!! I'm pretty sure i installed the hsf properly, look at my cooling setup, is this way to much speed for it???

temps screenshots

pls help!!!

i dont wanna reaply AS3, im short on it and its impossble to get around here, not to say it was such a hassle to build the comp. My best guess is this sensor gives 10º above real temps... im ok as long as real temp dont esceed 55ºC

toastedzergling

You can feel the temperature yourself

40C is a bad fever
70C can not hold your fingers for long

you get the idea

OP
PhobMX

PhobMX

alright, touched it while the sensor gives 61º and the ax7 feels like a bad feever thats all, i guess its around 43º-45º so this mobo temp sensor sucks even more after updating to lastest final verion bios... thnx for your help...

OP
PhobMX

PhobMX

THIS NEEDS MAJOR BUMPAG3!!!

Man, forget about 61ºC, i wanted to settle at 172Mhz FSB with this memory but it seems my temps are raising... now i got 67ºC on the asus sensor 2 after prime running for 8 hours!!! no errors but 58ºC as real cpu temps sound scary... so i have lowered the fsb to 166MHz, now i have 64ºC in ASUS sensor 2, still high but i believe my cpu can take them until i get better memory to oc more... :D

should i reaply AS3???? man i dont wanna do that hassle all over again, but my temps have been raisng from two weeks to date... pls help

Tipycol

PhobMX said:
THIS NEEDS MAJOR BUMPAG3!!!

Man, forget about 61ºC, i wanted to settle at 172Mhz FSB with this memory but it seems my temps are raising... now i got 67ºC on the asus sensor 2 after prime running for 8 hours!!! no errors but 58ºC as real cpu temps sound scary... so i have lowered the fsb to 166MHz, now i have 64ºC in ASUS sensor 2, still high but i believe my cpu can take them until i get better memory to oc more... :D

should i reaply AS3???? man i dont wanna do that hassle all over again, but my temps have been raisng from two weeks to date... pls help

Maybe you have a deffective sensor or sensor chip? I mean you if you can touch the chip alright I doubt it's actually up that high. Although you probably have this worked out, how's your case cooling anyway? seems odd that the cpu would be 30C above the system temp, is the cpu getting the fresh air?

Just a thought

Tipycol

Tismedt

Shadow ÒÓ's after me!!!
What are the bios temps reading at? And MBM5? I think that mobo reads temps directly from the core and it will be about 10*c above a in socket reading. Even if that is so those temps are a bit too high. I know its a pain but you should reapply the AS3 and hope for better thermal transfer. Have you lapped the AX-7? That should give you another 2 or 3 degrees drop in temps. Good Luck

OP
PhobMX

PhobMX

thnx for your feedback ppl, heres a screenshot of the inside of my riggy...

Inside:

Inside picture

it looks like my videocard obstructs the intake fan flow to go up to the cpu, all fans are working okay, i have negative airflow cuz theres an exhaust fan plus the one the psu has and only one intake. It also might look that theres no chance of air to the cpu because of the flat cables, but i managed clear a gap between the vidcard and hard drive so the air can actualy go up, you might not tell in the pic though...

reaplying AS3 sounds like a last option, i would but any other suggestions???

my top temps have been 67ºCPU 36ºSystem on prime95, that difference sounds very strange...

Maximouse

Just a thought.

You are getting your temp readings from MBM.

That program has been known to need offsets. What are the readings when you look at the temps from the bios screen?. Also, try running the Asus Probe prg and see what it says.

Al

Cheesy Peas

toastedzergling said:
You can feel the temperature yourself

40C is a bad fever
70C can not hold your fingers for long

you get the idea

thats not the temp of the core tho.. just the heat that the heatsinhk has removed.. if your hs is hot then it means its removing alot of heat.. which generally is good.. it means its mounted on the core with good contact

OP
PhobMX

PhobMX

Maximouse said:
Just a thought.

You are getting your temp readings from MBM.

That program has been known to need offsets. What are the readings when you look at the temps from the bios screen?. Also, try running the Asus Probe prg and see what it says.

Al

when i look at the bios screen, i see 58ºC, and when i boot to winxp and start mbm i see 59, after 2 min of folding i get "usual" 61º, when i try prime95, temps go up to 64ºC on MBM after 5 min...

I believe that the true temps are around 55ºC while prime 95, not enough to burn my finger or either feel unconfortable, but might be enough to kill the cpu if i stay this way for long... my guess now is that i have to reaply, damn :mad:

but anyway, got any other ideas? i can sware that i applied AS3 as told in the site, and tried not to slide the hs on the cpu while mounting, seems a very slight slide cassed the AS3 to move and i dont get contact good enough, but just babling, pls help!!

Deathknight

What voltage are you running at? Thats not an especially powerful fan you have on there so those temps may be normal. I would imagine with a higher cfm that you would see better temps.

OP
PhobMX

PhobMX

Deathknight said:
What voltage are you running at? Thats not an especially powerful fan you have on there so those temps may be normal. I would imagine with a higher cfm that you would see better temps.

default vcore, 1.75V

well i guess that 39CFM are worth my temps then, i wont get a higher cfm fan cuz this one is already the most noise my sleep allows me, and heck this temps have been the same or even raising all the way up to now, ony 3 weeks; but thnx anyway...