• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Exoframe Mini

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
And this project is done! (Well, almost, see end of post).

Here are some nice pics, contrasting the internally lit and unlit.

Final%20build%20side%20unlit_zpsvddfqkt0.jpg

Final%20build%20side%20lit_zpsfqofog8e.jpg

And some more completed pics:

Final%20build%20top_zpspkttaoyu.jpg

Final%20build%20side%20lo1_zpssxfc2gle.jpg

Final%20build%20gpu%20side%20lit_zpsj1dlxhnz.jpg

Final%20build%20front%20left_zpsogkgdl62.jpg

Final%20build%20side%20lit2_zps7iemfreq.jpg

Final%20build%20side_zpsuewsfaas.jpg

Final%20build%20side%20lit2_zps7iemfreq.jpg

Final%20build%20side%20lit_zpsfqofog8e.jpg

And the final step, fire the bad boy up!

Turn%20it%20on_zpspsgig6jv.jpg

Ran thru all the usuals--memtest first.
Put a clean install of Windows 8. Loaded all the drivers. And anxiously and eagerly loaded up the system to see what kind of performance (heat-wise) it would get.

And I was quite pleased with the temps.

72f%20small_zpsgckmns74.jpg

Summary:

i7 2700k stock 3.6ghz at 1.175v.
XFX AMD 7970 DD.

Ambient temp of 72f. With the cpu loaded with Prime95 and the gpu loaded with Furmark, the pump running full at 4500rpms and the radiator fan running at 700rpms (all of which is very quiet), at about 30 minutes of stressing, the CPU cores were at an average 67c and the graphics core was at 54c.

My final video--turning on the lighting in a dark room is just eye-popping.

http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v363/navig/Exoframe Mini/Final build lit_zpspd0ggyig.mp4

This project is done! BUT, as per usual, I’m going to post a new section to this thread titled “Exoframe Mini, completed”. In this thread I will give a quick summary of the build, then finish it with some nice higher resolution choice pics, after I convert the corner of my shop to a mini photo studio. So stay tuned…..

Not normally a fan of orange anything, that that is one sexy case, was an enjoyable hour reading through and looking at all the pics, nicely done and /bow before your greatness.

I apologize for the delay on the finish of this thread! It is coming!

Exoframe Mini Completed

Exoframe Mini Completed

Hello Everyone once again and welcome newcomers!

This is my Exoframe Mini Completed Thread.

If you wish to see my entire project unfold in its log, just click --> here <-- to jump to the start of this thread. However, I will take a few pages to recap the build.

First of all, special thanks to my low key sponsorship:

Delvies%20plastics%20logo_zpstmbrr0tc.jpg

www.delviesplastics.com

I think it will be apparent the quality of plastics provided as well as the awesome laser cutting by John.

And of course thanks to all those who followed my log in real time.

Last edited:
Let’s get to it:

Opening%20Title_zpsbslibf4j.jpg

This would be my third Exoframe project, all based on the same principle of construction, but none of them looking alike. The first was my original Grande Exoframe. The second was a cube style customer request, Exoframe 2.0. So why not bring it small, mini-ITX style?

The entire concept of the Exoframe series was to construct a skeleton frame from square tube aluminum.

I started with a stack of ¾” square tube aluminum, cut to meet with mitered corners.

Stock%20metal%20cut%20and%20mitered_zpsoijp1zsf.jpg

Next, added a set of custom laser cut corner brackets, and other assorted bracketry. Special thanks to Mionesolidworks for helping me CAD the brackets, Norcal Laser for cutting them from 20 gauge steel, Kwikky from TheRaptorPit forums for welding them, and Platinum Powdercoating Chico, CA for a matte black finish.

Corner%20brackets%20powdercoated_zpsvdwrkvva.jpg

Put them together and I had my Exoframe.

Frame%20completed_zps9jgcnnsz.jpg

The next step was to add internal structure to mount my hardware. In the past, I’ve done this in any of number of different ways, but for this build I had this idea to make the 2 main compartment shelves out of sheet plastic, folded, and joining together for the support columns.

Mobo%20shelf%20installed3_zpsxatbro98.jpg

The final general step was to enclose everything with inset panels of smoked acrylic. The panels actually hang inset within the frame, allowing the frame to remain exposed--hence the “exo” in Exoframe.

Putting%20together%20front_zpsm1okmxfz.jpg

Then it was time to install my hardware.

CI%20motherboard1_zpsrzu5nfdk.jpg

A benefit of the Exoframe design is that the wall panels aren’t necessary for structure for the case; the system can be run pretty much completely exposed, if so desired. Particularly useful for tasks like filling/bleeding the watercooling loop.

Fill%20setup_zpswuwojahm.jpg

Another benefit of building a frame of square tube is that I can run cabling within the frame itself.
Here I was threading the cable run for the Power switch and LED, Reset switch, hard drive LED, and UV lights switch from the angled front switch panel to near the motherboard.

Threading%20cable2_zpsmcsdpd5j.jpg

Finally, in building this system, I decided to go pretty wild with aesthetic design, so I had the frame anodized orange, and featured UV based effects internally.

Final%20build%20front%20left_zpsjeda8ob1.jpg

Turn%20it%20on_zpsqrppxjkh.jpg

So now I present to you a higher res full tour of my completed Exoframe MIni!

Front%20right%20mid%20unlit_zpsxfgltihg.jpg

The structural elements--square tube frame, bracketry, inset smoked acrylic enclosure--are pretty upfront. Another thing I like about this pic is that its almost a little difficult to tell what’s inside the case, and what’s a reflection.

It turns on the head the concept of a normal case panel, which would be a panel of metal with a window set into it. Here, the entire panel is plastic--in fact the whole enclosure appears to be plastic with the metal frame built around it.

There are a number of important conventional parts to my PC. Here we’ve got a Blu-ray burner, and a set of front inputs--USB3, e-sata, audio. Special note, the bezel for the Blu-ray burner is laser cut ⅛” opaque black acrylic, once again thanks to Delvies Plastics.

Front%20panel%20unlit2_zpstidawgyy.jpg

And in the back are the usual I/O ports for a micro-ATX motherboard, plus the powersupply.

Back%20left%20mid2_zpsfigf5kdf.jpg

The switch panel is located on the slanted panel on the top-front of the case. The left button is the power-on with a white ring LED for power-on, the second button is the reset button, with a blue LED for HDD activity, and the third toggle switch turns on the internal lighting effects.

Switch%20panel%20unlit_zpsky3hx55t.jpg

This whole panel is set at a slant to break up the boxiness of the case as a whole. Just like most of the visible panels, it is also inset, lending to the illusion that this is sort of a plastic case embedded within a metal frame.

Left%20box%20example_zpskmmx8w8e.jpg

Up top is the only fan intake. The fan is a 200mm Antec Big Boy. It is mounted directly to the top plastic panel, which I had laser cut to form a fan grill. I think this design looks awesome. I basically drew a sketch, added some dimensions, and emailed my idea to Delviesplastics. After a little adjusting, it shipped out to me looking like this.

Fan%20grill_zpsa0k7ztsq.jpg

Some more general pictures!

Top%20down_zpsgbcitkla.jpg

Front%20right%20lo%20unlit_zpsx7erauky.jpg

Left%20front%20unlit_zpsutfu1x4n.jpg

Left%20front%20higher%20unlit%20hi%20contrast_zpsk1cb0cmn.jpg

Left%20front%20very%20lo%20unlit2_zpsbpoz5gnz.jpg

Here’s a closeup of one of the metal tube frame members.

Brushed%20aluminum2_zpssor4ohyh.jpg

The aluminum has been anodized, which is essentially metal staining. The underlying texture (brushed by myself by hand--180grit then 220 grit) still comes through. Super hard to capture on photograph tho.

Next we’re going to take a tour of the inside.

Simply back a few screws off, and this whole side becomes exposed:

Left%20open%20mid%20unlit_zps5whmo30z.jpg

The top shelf contains my motherboard and videocard.

Motherboard%20focus_zpswtdgxilg.jpg

The motherboard is an Asus Asus P8Z77-i. It is sporting an i7 2700k currently running at stock and 2 sticks of G.skill 4 Gb memory. The cpu is cooled with a Swiftech Apogee HD.

The video card is an XFX 7970 DD, cooled with an Heatkiller waterblock and backplate.

The next level down has the powersupply, a Seasonic X750. Also, the LG blu-ray drive.

Mid%20level_zpsuo8zmsdm.jpg

These items are pretty much blacked out--I kind of wanted them to just disappear behind the dark acrylic. But obviously let the neon orange plastic structuring shine thru.

The lowest level has the radiator (Phobya Xtreme 200mm rad), exhaust fan (Coolermaster 200mm fan), and drain port.

Towards the front the hard drives. There are currently 3 slots full 3.5” drives, altho each slot could potentially hold 3 slimmer 2.5” drives. Right now my boot drive is a 128gb Samsung 840 and my storage drive is a 750Gb Seagate.

Hard%20drives%20and%20radiator_zpsz8rupd1c.jpg

I created my own system mounting of hard drives, which I’ve done in the past before, altho never in nuclear orange.

The drives mount to the mounting tab:

CI%20drive1_zpsliykjna9.jpg

Then the drive slides into the holding rack, and is secured with a thumbscrew.

CI%20drive2_zpszrsk52bj.jpg

Swinging around to the other side and removing this panel shows the opposite view.

Here you can see the nice Heatkiller block for the video card, threw a little personal logo on there.

Right%20mid%20open2_zpslbpyper3.jpg

There is a lot of cabling going on on this side.

Right%20cable%20bundle_zpslqpslykl.jpg

As this case is acrylic on all sides, cabling does have to end up somewhere (not going to successfully run a 24 pin ATX power thru the frame tubing), and this is where a lot of it ended up. I merely wanted to tidy up the cabling and keep it all black.

Because, when it goes behind the darkened acrylic, I wanted it to mostly just disappear:

Right%20mid2_zpsde5bjzwr.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Next I wanted to focus specifically on the watercooling loop.

Unlike my cabling, I wanted my watercooling loop to stand out. Hence the UV reactive tubing with the UV dye’d water.

Left%20back%20open%20lit2_zpsrxvksy0c.jpg

In case you’ve got trouble following the glow-in-the-dark fluid (just wait till you see the night pictures), I’ve got all labeled up, 5th grade MSpaint style!

Watercool%20loop_zpso5fyw5st.jpg

Starting at the top, with the Fill Port.

Drops down into the Reservoir (EK 250ml pumptop/reservoir combo).

The pump (Swiftech MCP35-x) sends water down to the radiator (Phobya Xtreme 200mm rad).

The rad then sends the cooled water back up to the CPU block (Swiftech Apogee HD).

From the CPU block to Video Card block (Heatkiller for XFX 7970 DD).

The Video Card block exit then leads back to the Reservoir.

PS, the more watercooling loops I build, the more appreciate easy to use Fill and Drain Ports.

Once again, I really wanted the tubing to stand out, so I went with the double blue UV action, plus black anti-kink coils to really make it stand out. I also carefully routed all my tubing into 90 degree and parallel lines to kind of avoid that crazy tubes running everywhere look.

How does the loop perform?

Here was the setup for my stress run:

i7 2700 at stock 3.6ghz 1.175v
XFX 7970 DD at stock

Ambient testing temp: 72f

Load was generated by 30 minutes of simultaneous Prime95 and Furmark.

CPU cores were at an average of 67c.
GPU core was at 54c.

Stress%20test_zpsi4z9tyev.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Some more general pics, with the internal lighting on.

The internal lighting consists of 4 UV LED strips. Combined with the gray tinted acrylic outer shell, basically anything dark would disappear and anything UV reactive would highlight.

Left%20lit%20bright_zpsptjozvoo.jpg

Front%20mid%20lit%20bright_zpsyiq0z0au.jpg

Back%20right%20bright_zps6epyrz3w.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Turn down the lights and things start to get more interesting!

Left%20dark%20lit_zpszory5grz.jpg

Left%20front%20hi%20lit%20dark_zpshh5wqxzt.jpg

Front%20mid%20lit%20dark_zps1mvxiuyi.jpg

Left%20hi%20lit%20dark_zpstbxcujan.jpg

Left%20dark%20lit%20closeup1_zpsldrzfxyq.jpg

Left%20very%20dark2_zps62rwifcg.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Turn the lights way down low, and while probably not necessarily romantic, it almost looks like parts just floating in space!

Left%20front%20lo%20super%20dark_zpsfeoomcu8.jpg

Left%20super%20dark_zpsgwpbqrop.jpg

Right%20closeup_zpsvdr2ladj.jpg

Internals%20very%20dark_zpsj0qthssf.jpg

Left%20lo%20super%20dark_zpseslbh9wx.jpg

The photos don’t capture the transition of unlit to lit, which is really a thing to behold.

So I put together a video (sorry no steady cam or editing skills).

Video%20screen%20shot_zpswyye8tpg.jpg

Click Here for the Video

http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums...ni completed/Final Light Show_zpskdraoscd.mp4

- - - Updated - - -

Some more general pics!

Here is the bottom of the case, I did mention that the whole thing is made from tinted acrylic?

Bottom%20side_zpswd1fndo9.jpg

Left%20very%20hi%20lit%20bright_zpsipehsny3.jpg

I really love this part of the case--architecturally I think its just cool.

Bezel%20focus_zpsfp05hzvv.jpg

View of the back in the dark!

Back%20very%20dark_zpsvhmw6cmr.jpg

Internals%20very%20dark2_zpsgxbnlywh.jpg

Super%20hi_zpsndvhpk4i.jpg

And that’s it! Thank you for tuning in.

Here are the components in the system:

i7 2700k
Asus P8Z77-i
2x4gb G.skill Ram
XFX 7970 DD
Seasonic X750
Samsung 840 128Gb
Seagate 750Gb

Cooling:
Swiftech MCP35x
EK 250ml res/pump top
Phobya Xtreme 200mm radiator
Swiftech Apogee HD cpu block
Heatkiller 7970 full cover block and back plate
Various Bitspower, Swiftech, Alphacool fittings
Dangerden UV blue ¾”OD ½”ID tubing
Distilled water
Mayhem’s blue UV dye
Intake: Antec BigBoy
Exhaust: Coolermaster 200mmx38mm

Construction and very approximate prices
Square tube aluminum ($30)
Other aluminum brackets ($20)
Custom brackets (remember these were custom CAD designed, lasercut from 20 gauge cold rolled steel, welded, finished, and powdercoated) ($40 x 6)
Other brackets, powdercoated black ($100)
Anodizing, orange and black ($150)
Switches ($30)
Front USB/e-sata/audio component ($25)
Wiring ($10)
Sheet acrylic ($80)

My vendors:
Delvies plastics
McMaster-Carr
Online Metals
frozencpu
performance-pcs
Home Depot/Lowes/Harbor Freight
Norcal Laser
Chico Metal Finishers
Platinum Powdercoating

Right%20very%20hi_zpsbst3hyww.jpg

Front%20lo%20lit%20dark_zpsm6jlx9at.jpg

Left%20open%20side2_zpshl8xxr2l.jpg

Left%20front%20mid%20lit%20dark3_zpsaojf0mzi.jpg

Special Thanks to my wife and all the supporters at the forums (ocforums, theraptorpitforums, and xtremesystemsforums) I post!

What’s next? I’ve got some non-pc projects next, which I will post in the General Discussions area.

PC- wise, I’ve got a few ideas, but will require acquiring some new skills, so it may be a while.

Back