• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Experience overclocking HP Phoenix?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ThunderSpirit

Registered
Hey I was just wondering if anyone has experience overclocking the HP phoenix series of desktops ? I'm just trying to get an idea of what to expect from my computer. I have a 5960x and I have read online that a lot of people can get a good stable overclock between 4 and 4.7 GHz. Most of these are custom builds with very nice motherboards and power supplies. The HP motherboard is generic and so is the power supply so I do not think I will be able to set my expectations quite that high. It is water cooled and the computer itself stays surprisingly cool under loads. I used the Intel extreme and tuning utility yesterday under the basic menu and pushed the clock from 3 GHz to 3.8 GHz with stable results. I then pushed it to 4 gigahertz and the computer became unstable and rebooted. I had to stop and ask myself why I even wanted to push it to that point so I decided to be happy with 3.8 GHz. Am I playing with fire here or do you think if I take the time to tweak settings correctly that I can expect 4 GHz out of this machine for daily use ?

Lochekey

Senior Pink Member
What voltage are you running and how are the temps. You may also have better results when using the bios to set the overclock.

Joe88

You would have to look in the bios but it seems hp might have disabled setting your own voltage, reading online it seems it stuck on adaptive to prevent damage to the system.

Last edited:
OP
ThunderSpirit

ThunderSpirit

Registered
I read about that as well, but I could not find anyone using a 5960x so it may work different, apparently the phoenix line has alot of different revisons so Im not 1005 sure. I can say that this has stayed a 3.8ghz for a day now and its normal speed is 3ghz, while trubo boost is 3.3ghz. Im not sure if that means its working but definitely gives me a little hope.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a current graph while the cpu is set to 3.8ghz. Is this all I need to be looking at in order to reference appropriate voltage and temp?

Capture.JPG

Lochekey

Senior Pink Member
You will have to put the cpu under load to get correct values. Try running the built in stress test to see what the true values are.

OP
ThunderSpirit

ThunderSpirit

Registered
Ok I ran the test at 3.8ghz. Voltage stayed at 1.017v the entire time but temp got up to 56c during stress test. All I have changed is the processor core ration in intel extreme utility under basic tuning. After the test I switched back to 3.0 ghz vlotage dropped to .96v and temp dropped to 40c.