• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Experiment with a 172mm fan. Need to know approx. noise

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nafdaos

Registered
i am considerring doing alittle experiment.
I am thinking on putting 2 172mm fans (55db each 260 cfm each)
I was just wondering if anyone can give me a scenario of approx how loud that will be.

OP
N

nafdaos

Registered
Decible listings provided by YamiYannaz

0 The softest sound a person can hear with normal hearing

10 normal breathing

20 whispering at 5 feet

30 soft whisper

50 rainfall

60 normal conversation

110 shouting in ear

120 thunder

ok so it would be safe to say that the computer would be as loud as rainfall. Which is pretty loud when the computer is half a foot away from you.
Do you think it is still a good idea to do thios experiment? By the way this experiment is being done on one of my spare b/s computers. Not my baby.

Thanks for the info Yami.

Yamiyanazz

No problem at all. I think it would be alright for an experiment, and if you really wanted to, you could always get a fan controller or volt mod them to run at a lower speed.

bloh

To get a rough idea of the noise:

Take your vacuum cleaner, plug it in, and then put your ear real close to it. :D

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr

Really, the DBA is a big part, but nobody ever says anything about the tone of it. I have 4 Vantec Spectrums that do 35DBA I think and they are pretty silent. If you have a muffled tone, it'll seem at least twice as quiet, if its a high pitch tone, its gonna sound twice as loud. Hope that helps.

Electron Chaser

Senior Delta Fanatic
Actually 55 dBA is about as loud as an normal conversation. I run some powerful fans in my system and I can easily hear my cat "meow" or my kids talking in the other room as well as the TV.Of course I can hear my Computer in the other room as well if I listened for it. It really is not as loud as some people make out.

daba

I've had my experience with a Vantec Tornado 92mm, and I just couldn't stand it anymore after the second day. You could hear it from two rooms away. Expect to listen to the noise equivalent to a mini hand-vac for as long as those fans are on.

P.S. I couldn't even drown out the Tornado (aptly named) with my speakers, unless I deafened myself.

Good luck.

Strages

A crash course in the decibel scale...

The decibel scale is logarithmic at +3dba increments. This basically means that 10db is not 10x louder than 0db (and 0db does NOT mean perfect silence!). Because of the nature of the DB, +3dB is actually twice as loud, I say +3 because 3db is twice as loud as 0db and 6db is twice as loud as 3db, etc, etc. Secondly, the dB is not a measurments, but a comparison. One fan being 10db louder than another fan simply means that the quieter fan could be considered 0 db (the base of reference) and the louder fan is measured as 10db louder than the base of reference. For simplification, the reference of a singular sound is silence (given a db of 0) so when fans are rated at say, 30 db, they are being measured against total silence, so it is actually 3^10 times louder than silence. The other thing to remember is that decibel ratings do not add together beacause the scale is logarithmic. Two objects with a loudness of 55dba for example, will have a combined loudness of ~58db (remember, +3db is twice as loud, so two objects of the same loudness are twice as loud as one - but that doesn't mean 110db!). It gets incredibly more complicated from there, but just keep that in mind when you're talking about loudness as measured in dB. Just as a side note, the decibel doesn't actually measure loudness - it measures the pressure/power ratio :).

OP
N

nafdaos

Registered
so pretty much i am going to go for the mod to see it if i like it and its bearable ill change my computer over to that case w/ my psu and then see if that allows me to OC even better than what i can do. If so, I will by a full tower case and mod those 172mm fans into it to have my computer run in. The case i am experimenting is is not very good. Probably a little b/s dell or gateway. One of the many computers i have.